What kind of wireless network adaptor do I need?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

What kind of wireless network adaptor do I need?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all.0

I'm hoping someone here can help me.  I need to get a wireless network adaptor for my Dell Dimension 4300 OS - Windows XP sp3.  (Yes, it still works!!!)

My goal is to set up a wireless network as I just bought a new Dell Studio laptop.   I'm not sure what I need or how to do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Ruth

All Replies
  • You need to connect  modem >router>computers. You will need a modem that has an ethernet port. A wireless router. A wireless G or N router, and  you will need a compatible wireless G or N wireless adapter. You can either buy a wireless pci adapter that will go inside of your Dim 4300 or you can purchase a USB wireless adapter. Your Studio already has a wireless adapter installed. I would recommend Linksys and Netgear. But there are other mfrs if needed. Just buy the same mfr wireless adapter as the router.

Sam

Alienware M11x R2 - Inspiron 17R (7010) - Inspiron E1505

Forum Member since 2004

"If your issue was resolved, please click  Yes ".

• The 4300 is USB 1.1, so  you will want a USB 2.0 card for a wireless adapter - or just install a PCI card adapter.  USB 1.1 is too slow for anything but 802.11b.

• Hello,

A PCI card is the way to go.

Linksys is a very good brand, and you might as well get one that will also work with Windows 7.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your help!