Inspiron mini 10V (1011) wireless 1510, dropping connection

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Inspiron mini 10V (1011) wireless 1510, dropping connection

This question has been answered by Rosetta9

I have a new Inspiron 10V that can not stay connected to a network.  It will connect for between a minutes and maybe 5 minutes at most.  Then the connection will drop.  It will then reconnect to the network only to repeat the process.  In between being dropped the connection seems pretty slow as well.

I have tried this on 8 seperate access points of all different configurations with the same results througout. 

One access point is my home, it is a D Link DI 524.  I have 2 other Dell laptops that use this point on a regular basis for years with no issue.

One access point is where I work, this is the point that I have the best luck on, but the connection still drops and resets every 10 to 15 minutes

I contacted Dell support and they tell me it is not the laptop, rather it is the access points.  I find it very hard to believe that 8 access points in a row, one of them I can verify works fine with 2 other laptops, are the problem and the laptop is fine.

I have disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device" and removed IE 8, neither of those seems to help.

I ran the Dell wireless update utility and it tells me everything is up to date

Software version 5.10.38.30

Driver Version 5.10.38.26

Supplicant version 5.10.38.30

board Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN mini-Card Rev 4.02

Chipset BCM432b/BCM32056000

Verified Answer
  • Well after I posted my "fix" I started thinking, why did I get an N card if I can't use N, and at some hotspots I would still have problems with channel 6.  So I talked to a real PC support person who suggested I download the latest drivers for the WIFI card from the manufacturer rather than Dell.  I got the newest driver from Broadcoms website and installed it and since then everything has worked wonderfully. 

Why does Dell not distribute this driver? I guess they are too busy not listening to customers when they call for support.

• I tried everything to fix the channel 6 issue on the Mini 10V, updated drivers from Dell, Broadcom, and HP but without success.  Then I found the following link and installed the driver for the Studio 1909 desktop as described.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19280712.aspx

Since then connection has worked with channel 6 (and other channels) without any problems.  It's listed as a Vista driver but it worked on XP.

• I copied the driver files into a new folder on the net book (this was c:windows\system32\drivers\dell, but of course can be anything you choose)

The downloaded folder was named R211551, this may change as the driver is updated but perhaps useful as a check.

I then used device manger to manually update the driver (let me know if you're not familiar with this and I'll give you the steps).

I selected "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"

Then ticked the box for a specific location, and selected the copied folder (R211551) and down a level to the "DRIVER_US" folder.

The driver then installed successfully and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

All Replies
  • garydenn,

What type of security are you using oon the D-link?

What challel are you using?

Are you using any wireless devices like print servers, usb adapters, xBox, etc...?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• Rick,

thank you for your input, I am using WEP 128 on the D Link, I WAS using channel 6 and the only other wireless devices are Inspirons.

Now I did some trouble shooting, at this point have  been to 14 separate hot spots.  3 of the 14 WIFI worked just fine , the other 11 I kept having the same problem.  Those 11 were all Channel 6 the other 3 were 7 or 11.

So I came home switched my D Link from 6 to 11 and everything works just fine!

At first I assumed this was surely an issue with the firmware or hardware itself.  So I re-contact Dell Support and tell them my findings, thinking they will have newer firmware or offer to send a new card to try.  NO! They tell me there is no problem on their side. It is the problem of the routers using channel 6.

Are you kidding me? Its like if I were to buy a new car and then find out it only turns right, I take it back to the dealer and they say that there is no issue with the car, the issue is with the roads that expect me to turn left.

At my University all access points are Channel 6, so this is not acceptable to me to not be able to use Channel 6. I bought the 1011 specifically to use at University!

What can be done? Is this an issue with every 1510? I can not determine if it is hardware or firmware, but either way I consider this a problem even if Dell does not. It renders my 1011 useless to me 80% of the time.

• garydenn,

You may not want to hear this but WEP can be hacked. See Video.