Hardware: Inspiron 6400 Core Duo T2300 @ 1.66GHz laptop
                2GB RAM up from 1GB shipped by Dell
                Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
                ZTE ZXDSL 831II ADSL Modem (that's 831 capital i capital i, Roman numeral 2)

Software: Windows XP Pro SP3
               RASPPPOE
               all software and drivers are up-to-date

I just installed 2 1GB PC5300 memory modules to replace the 2 512MB PC4200 memory modules that shipped with my laptop. Same brand: Hynix.

All memory diagnostics (CMOS, Diagnostic Partition and Dell Support Center) report no problems with System Memory. Nonetheless, I swapped the position of the 2 PC5300 modules and ran all the diagnostics again. No problems again.

After I installed the bigger memory modules, I looked at my Device Management Console and saw that I now have a yellow exclamation mark next to the Network Adapter labeled “WAN Miniport (PPPOE). I don't remember the WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Network Adapter appearing as a Network Adapter before I installed the new memory.

I have no problems connecting to the internet via my ADSL Modem and still have the same up and down speeds I had before changing memory modules. Except for the yellow exclamation mark, I have no problems with my laptop.

I tried to uninstall the WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Network Adapter, but got the error message: “Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer.” When I look at the General tab of the Properties dialog box for the WAN Miniport (PPPOE) Network Adapter, I see the message “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”. When I look at the Driver details in the Driver tab of the Properties dialog box, I see that the driver is ndistapi.sys. I did a binary file compare of the ndistapi.sys file in my dllcache with the ndistapi.sys file in my C:\Windows\system32 folder and found that the 2 files are identical. When I click the “Roll Back Driver” button in the Driver tab of the Properties dialog box, I get the message “No driver files have been backed up for this device.”

I have booted with boot logging enabled, but have no idea where the boot log is or what program I use to read it.

I uninstalled RASPPPOE by carefully following the directions that came with the program, including deleting the oemx.inf and oemx.pnf files that RASPPPOE produces in the C:\Windows\inf folder. I then installed RASPPPOE again. I still have the yellow exclamation mark.

Considering that my laptop is working fine and that I have no problems with my ADSL connection, I'm willing to live with the yellow exclamation mark. There is a possibility that upgrading my memory is not related to my WAN Miniport (PPPOE) problem. After all, the unofficial Microsoft motto is “Windows is weird.”

Thanks in advance to all who reply.