Forums

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

wireless adapter for inspiron 6000 troubleshooting

This question is not answered

I've never had a problem with my wireless before today so I don't know much about it, but this morning I turned on my laptop and it wouldn't connect. I opened the Intel PROSet/Wireless program and it said "No supported wireless adapters available in the system." Now going through the control panel to add hardware, there is a 1394 Net Adapter and a Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller, both of which are said to be functioning properly. However, viewing my network connections only 1 of 3 connections are available now, a 1394 Connection, but the wireless connection option isn't there anymore.

I've tried doing a system restore, disabling and enabling the adapters through the device manager on the system...nothing has fixed it.

I'm a senior mechanical engineering student so I really need to fix this ASAP but my Dell warranty expired about a week ago unfortunately (ironic). Any help I can get with this would be absolutely fantastic.

All Replies
  • When you were in device manager under the network adapters there should be a listing for the intel proset adapter. Make sure there is no ! or X next to it.

If there is no listing, first boot into the bios and see if it shows up there. IF it does not show up there then something has happened to the adapter. First I would try removing and reinstalling the adapter. See HERE for the instructions.

If it shows up in the bios but still not in windows try reloading the driver.

Not really shure what the Ricoh is in the network connection as it does not show in mine and the adapters are Broadcom for the ethernet and either a Dell or intell wireless adapter. The card bus controll sound like something for a media card reader.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003