Do I need *Broadcom management Programs"?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Do I need *Broadcom management Programs"?

This question is answered
I have a Dell Insperon 6400/E1505 laptop, which incorporates a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated Controller

My son has deleted "Broadcom Management Programs". Although I mainly use Wifi to connect to the net I plugged the laptop direct to the router via the network connector and it worked and Device Manager says "the device is operating normally".

I am assuming that "Broadcom Management Programs". were already installed on the Laptop by Dell,

Are these Programs required or desirable to have? If so can I just use system restore to restore them or is that likely to cause more complications?

Any advice appreciated

Bill
Verified Answer
  • Thanks

The Wifi is working, it appears that the Dell Wireless software and the Software provided by my ISP control the wireless network, The only reference to Broadcom I could find on the laptop was the 10/100 integrated controller. so I tried connecting to the router by cable and it appears to work.So the dilemma was should I try a system restore or reinstall the program, but If it is not required I will leave well alone. My son says he used the add/remove program function to remove Broadcom, he thought that it was a program he had installed.
All Replies
  • So are you sating you cannot connect wirelessly anymore? The broadcom Management Program is not necessary. But if installed it will handle the wireless network connecting as opposed to Windows doing it.

If your son deleted the program without properly uninstalling it then it might affect your ability to connect wirelessly.

• Thanks

The Wifi is working, it appears that the Dell Wireless software and the Software provided by my ISP control the wireless network, The only reference to Broadcom I could find on the laptop was the 10/100 integrated controller. so I tried connecting to the router by cable and it appears to work.So the dilemma was should I try a system restore or reinstall the program, but If it is not required I will leave well alone. My son says he used the add/remove program function to remove Broadcom, he thought that it was a program he had installed.
  • You can get the latest version of the software from the Dell Downloads & Drivers page for the E1505/6400.  In the network section you will find both the drivers and the software for all of the network options available on that model Dell.

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.