convert 64 bit browser to a 32 bit browser

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

convert 64 bit browser to a 32 bit browser

This question is not answered

I have a new dell xps Windows Vista computer and i do taxes on turbotax. when i try to connect to the tax program it tells me i need adobe flash player 9 or greater.  i try to download adobe flash player 10 and the adobe sight tells me i need a 32 bit browser to operate and i have a 64 bit browser.  i dont know alot about computers, but i need to fix the problem so i can do taxes at turbotax.  remember, go slow with any suggestions and simple instruction will help too.

butleracres

All Replies
  • what browser are you using? If you are using IE go to all programs and scroll untill you see the listing for 32 bit IE. Both are included in 64 bit Vista. I rarely use the 64 bit as most web sites are not set up to use the browser. FF as far as I know has no 64 bit version.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

•   I am having the same problem as butteracres. I do not know much about computers.  I do not know how to change to 32-bit.  Do I go to start and All Programs there?  I have tried that and I do not find a 32-bit.

bmarsh508@comcast.net 

• If you have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate you can use the Free Virtual PC 2007 SP1 and Run XP or 32 bit Vista or

whatever underneath your current OS.

The Key for 64 bit Vista and 32 bit Vista is the same.

You can also order a replacement cd of the correct type aka 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

Costs $9 for replacement CD of the correct version from microsoft.

Dell sometimes provides those free.

You can also Downgrade to XP.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I you are running X64 then click on the windows orb click on all programs. There should be two listings for internet explorer. one will just say internet explorer and the other will say internet explorer(64-bit).

The plain one is the 32 bit version.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

• Hi, my name’s Cody, and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help answer questions that users might have about their copies of Internet Explorer.

As you've figured out, Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser.  You can run the Flash Player in a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer, however. 

Here’s how to open Internet Explorer’s 32-bit version on a Vista PC:  Click on the Start Menu, go to "Computer," open your main disk drive, and you'll probably see one folder named Program Files and another folder marked Program Files (x86). Open the "Program Files (x86)" folder, and then you should see an "Internet Explorer" folder. Open that, and click on the "iexplore" icon. This will open the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.
    To make the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer your default browser (so the 32-bit version always opens when you click a link, etc.), simply go into Control Panel, open Default Programs, and then click “Associate a file type or protocol with a program.”  From there, find the file extension types you want to open with Internet Explorer 32-bit.  Then click “Browse,” and simply assign those file types to the 32-bit version of IE you found on your system earlier.   This should ensure that it is the default program for those particular files. 

While you’re at it, you might also want to make sure your Internet Explorer is completely up-to-date.  The latest version is Internet Explorer 8 RC1, and you can download it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/download-ie.aspx?ocid=ie8_sm_a

I know I just threw a lot of information at you, so let me know if you are having trouble with anything or have questions about what I said! 

Good luck!

Thanks,
    Cody
    Internet Explorer Outreach Team

• your post is helpfull but... i followed the steps u gave but i cant find the file i want to run as 32 bit in that area. There are only two things i want to run on 32 bit which of course are online games.  I cant find the browse button. Can u tell me what i am doing wrong ?  Thanks

• It really is very simple..

Just click the start button and type "Internet"

That should give you three Internet explorer options... as follows..

"Internet Explorer" is the standard 32 bit version... best for most if not all users

"Internet Explorer (64 Bit)" is the 64 bit version has no real world benefits to the average user, suffers compatibility problems.

"Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)" is a "vanilla"/(Fresh) 32 bit version of internet explorer (is good for trouble shooting)

If you click "Internet Explorer" the 32 bit version should open and you should be able to add adobe flash etc. with no issues...

You can see version you have open (32/64bit) by looking in task manager, (right click taskbar and select "Task Manager)

Under the processes tab, you can see iexplore.exe running in the left column. Now iexplore.exe is the 64 bit version and iexplore *32 is the 32 bit version.

Here is a pic of the task manager with both versions open for your reference...

I hope this helps...

• I was having the similiar as the questionier and found your answer very helpful.  I just wanted to say thank you.  I am not very computer savy  and it was driving me crazy that i couldnt use adobe on my 64bit system but didnt know how to change to the 32 bit browser.  Thanks again:)

• Great post, Nudimensionz!  That's another really easy way for folks to make sure they're running the correct version of their browser.  

Thanks,
    Cody
    Internet Explorer Outreach Team

• Big Smile Thanks..

I always find it better with pictures.

lol

But remember these pics are only true for a 64 bit o/s ....

• Now if MS can make the browser as lean and mean as FireFox maybe I'll use it again  Big Smile

Forum member since 2003

• Cody.....

I am having trouble with my browser also.  But when I follow your steps all the way up to clicking on the Internet Explorer, I get a response that says "c:\Program Files(x86)\Internet Explorer is not accessible.  The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."  What do I do now??!!