reformatted computer and have no internet now..

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

reformatted computer and have no internet now..

This question has suggested answer(s)

I reformatted my laptop yesterday and now I have no wireless internet. I have no icon for a network connection or anything... I tried hooking it up to the internet from my desktop and that isn't working either. From what I've seen on here, it could be a driver.. but how do I download those drivers for the wireless if I don't have internet on it? I tried putting it on a CD, but once I get that in my laptop it says it needs to get on the internet to finish the download. Can anyone help me? Please.. :(

All Replies
  • Hello. Please tell me what computer you have and what is the OS that you have reinstalled. Then I will give you the list of all the drivers that needs to be installed.

THe first that we will do after that is we will download the basic ethernet drivers online and then we'll install it on a cd and then we'll install that same driver on the laptop computer. Then after we can hardwire the computer to the router and then get the rest of the drivers downloaded on the laptop, that way we'll have internet on the laptop and then its going to be easier to get the drivers installed and the wireless set-up.

• And if you have warranties left on your computer then please call tech support and then they will take the remote access and they will install the drivers for you without you having to do anything.

With their software Dell Connect they can take the remote access of you laptop and they will install the drivers for you once we have installed the basic ethernet drivers. They have a list of all the drivers that are installed in your computer and they will install it for you. The call would be a long one but it would be easier for you.

Smile

• But if you dont have warranties then also no worries, I will guide you through all the steps.

• Hiii :) I have a Dell Inspiron E1505... Windows XP!

• Hello,

No problem.

You just need to follow the Dell required order for install.  Idea Pay special attention to the note about booting into safe mode.  Idea

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
    This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
    2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    9. Other Devices
    * Bluetooth Module
    This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
    This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
    This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• Hello - I'm hoping you can help me as well. I had the same situation, needed to reinstall windows but the wireless icon disappeared and can't get on the Internet. I've downloaded drivers from the Drivers and Download section. However I can't locate the PCMCIA/Smartcard controller. There is not a section titled Security on the Drivers and Downloads for Inspirion e1505. Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks,

Traci