Network not assigning IP address

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Network not assigning IP address

This question is not answered

I have 3 Dell computers on a Linksys Wireless-G network.  The desktop I am using is wired to the router; the others are a remote desktop and a laptop that was unused for a while.  About a month ago the remote desktop stopped connecting to the network.  (This was about the time our new neighbors moved in and set up an unsecured connection with a strong signal--not sure if it's related.)  After a long and frustrating call to Linksys, we got the remote computer to connect to our network, but it sits there saying it is waiting to have an IP address assigned and it will not connect to the Internet.  I tried setting the IP address on it, and that did not work either.  The laptop also formerly worked on the network, but when I turned it on for the first time in a while and tried to access the network, I got the same error message.  Before I spend several more hours on the phone, does anyone know why this is happening?

All Replies
  • If the computer having the connection problem is trying to talk to your router on or near to the same channel as your neighbors wireless network, it could simply be a matter of it not being able to establish the connection.  The fact the problem started about the time the new network was set up tells me this is a good thing to check first.  The best way to do this is to see what channel the other network is on, and change yours so it is not using an overlapping channel.

802.11b/g networks have 3 non-overlapping channels: 1, 6 and 11.  Channel 6 overlaps channels 2 through 10, while channel 1 overlaps 1 through 5 and channel 11 on 7 through 11.  If both you and your neighbor are on channel 6 (the default used by Linksys if I remember correctly) then one of you changing to either channel 1 or 11 on the router should fix the problem.  The wireless cards will pick the channel the router is using so you won't need to worry about the channel change at the computer end, just on the router itself.

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.