Does Wifi mean I have Wireless capability on my laptop?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Does Wifi mean I have Wireless capability on my laptop?

• I recently bought a laptop on Ebay. It was advertized as having "Wifi". I took that to mean that it have wireless capability. Because the hard drive was bad and I had to return it to the seller, I had to reload Windows XP SP2. I therefore never had the chance to find out whether the machine had wireless capability or not. All I need is a wireless capability to connect to the internet.

I have downloaded just about every (all the urgent and required) driver that is pertinent to that machine's service tag.

I still have no way of connecting to the internet wirelessly.

I started out by following instructions in the article:

Prior to the post above, I had read:

I failed to duplicate what is shown in Figure 1. Does this mean that my laptop does not have wireless capability? If the answer is no, then how do I detect that I have a wireless network card?

What driver would solve my problem?

I am very frustrated and I need answers before I can go after the seller for being deceptive.
  • Check Device Manager.  It should have an entry for a wireless network adapter, for example, if your computer has an Intel PRO/Wireless network adapter, this is what it should look like

Please don't send questions about your issues to me by Private Messages; post them in the appropriate board so everyone can read. Thank you.

• Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately I am unable to see the picture accompanying your response. If you do not mind, please send it to my private address: mitikavuma@hotmail.com.
    I will not communicate to you using your private email.

Thanks