Wireless driver for Dell Latitude D600

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Wireless driver for Dell Latitude D600

• Hello Dell Gurus, I have a 3 yrs old Dell Latitude D600 Laptop that has Wireless ability built it. However it seems that the drivers are not installed on the PC. (I do see an wireless antenna icon on the F2 key which I can activate by pressing the Fn + F2 key). Now I have a wireless network in my house but my PC does not detect it. Hence I installed an Wireless external card (a DLINK brand one). My PC now detects that there is a wireless but when I try to connect it its asks for a Network key. And even after I am entering the right wireless network key it does not connect. It keeps on asking me for the key which I know I am entering correct since the same key works on other PCs. I was talking to someone and they hinted that maybe I need to update my network drivers. As my DELL latitude D620 automatically picked up the wireless network without me installing anything and It seems that my new PC is using some "Intel Driver". Hence where can I get the latest Intel Proset/Wireless driver for my Dell D600? I am using Windows XP. Kind Regards Gabz

Message Edited by Gabbyg79 on 10-24-2007 12:48 AM
  • hi
    try this..
    run>services.msc>wireless zero configuration>right click properties>startup type should be auomatic>service status should be started ..(if not make them this)
    then control panel network connection and go to properties of wireless network connection ,open the network connection tab and then there is a small check box that says let windows manage wifi chk that   and then click ok in bottom and then do a right click on wireless network connection and then view wireless network, connect to ur network and it should work now

Sreya
  • Hey Sreya,

Thanks for replying to my post. I checked what you had suggested and everything looks OK there. The startup is automatic. I think it became automatic when I install my Dlink External wireless card.

I think the issue lies with WEP Key. I think the length and format etc of my WEP key is not suitable with the version of driver I have. I thin the

hence I was thinking maybe I can update the version someonehow of the Intelpro Wireless set driver. I tried. finding it on the net but was not sucessfull.

Kind Regards
    Gabz
  • hey..
    if u have wpa or wep 128 bits key with (26 characters )change it to wep 64 bits .. then try....

Sreya
  • hello Sreya,

In my wireless config, my network key for example is "xxxxxxx112233". The Key format field has two options: ASCII Charaters ( which i selected) and then for key length I have 2 options again:  104 Bits (13 characters) and 40 bits (5 characters).

When I select 104 bits value and start to enter my network passworkd (as part of network config), the key length field automatically changes to 40 bits.:-(.

So should there be any other value i should see (like64 bits)  in the key Length field that I dont have? And any idea how I can expand this key lenght field with other values. Since I am very sure the problem lies here which is why I cannot connect with my old Dell.

Kind Regards
    Gabz
  • Hi
    just let me know the name of ur router and are connecting by dlink utility or by windows utility..

Sreya