Is my Dimension 3000 wireless enabled?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Is my Dimension 3000 wireless enabled?

• I have a Dell Dimension 3000, I have just received a new wireless router etc from BT (a home hub) for my home.  Is my machine wireless enabled, it would appear not.  I have had to connect to the router with an ethernet cable.

What do I need to do to get my machine wireless compatable?  I found that there is a wizard for setting up a wireless home network so I assumed the PC was wireless enabled but it appears not.

Help please.

Nigel Goddard
    N Ireland 
  • Desktop computers like the Dimension 3000 do not come standard with a wireless network adapter.  You can get one as an option during the ordering process, but most people don't notice or bother with that option.  I strongly suspect that you do not have a wireless network adapter.  You can check by opening Device Manager and expanding the listing for network adapters. If there is a wireless adapter installed, it would show up there. 

To add one you have two options.  (1) if you have an open PCI slot, you would get PCI wireless network adapter and install it in the open PCI slot inside of your computer.   (2) you could also get a USB wireless network adapter that would plug into a USB port on the outside of your computer.

Steve
  • Steve

Thanks for that explanation, looks like I'm off to the PC shop tommorrow.

Nigel