WLTray.exe Memory Leak

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

WLTray.exe Memory Leak

• Lads/Lasses

This is probably an old topic, but have searched for answers and cannot find on the board.

I'm running a standard Latitude 610 with a gig of ram, and the XPSTD 7.0 image install.

WLTray.exe keeps emulating pac-man with my ram, until I notice, and kill the process. Is there a fix for the leak out there?

Cheers

M
  • Process File:wltray.exeProcess Name:Dell Wireless WLAN Card Wireless Network Tray Applet Run a Free System Scan for wltray.exe Related ErrorsDescription:wltray.exe is a process installed alongside Dell Wireless WLAN Card and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
    More Info About wltray.exe - Get WinTasks 5 Pro Now!Recommendation:Should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.
    To get control over your running programs we suggest WinTasks.   
    FREE Registry Scan

"94% of computers have corrupt, unused, and possibly harmful files."

• Boost PC Performance
    • Increase System Stability
    • Avoid .exe Related Errors
    Free Registry Scan

FREE Performance Scan

"Most PCs are not Optimized for Peak Performance! "

Automatically optimize your PC for maximum performance in just a few easy clicks.

Free spyware scan

Author:DellPart Of:Dell Wireless LAN

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/wltray/

next time search on  google

From chris

from Chris

Dell Dimension 1100
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
    2GB of Ram
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
    Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
    Dell E196FP
    HDD WDC WD800BB-75JHCO 80GB C:
    HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
    TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
    LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
    Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
    Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

My Security Software
    Avanquest SystemSuite 9 Professional
    Windows Defender

• Interesting. Of course I did Google it. But my question was more aimed a the root cause of the problem than inadvertently soliciting spam for third-party software sales.

OK, fair enough. I won't ask again.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Cheers

Rept
  • You don't mention the version or the type of wireless Lan card, but I would check the support.dell.com and grab the latest WLAN driver for the card you have.  Alternatively, you could always uninstall the Dell utility and use windows to manage your wireless settings for you.

Best Regards,
    LT
  • Now that's a reply!

Thanks Lt.
  • The latest version also has the memory leak. I have the TruMobile 1450. The versions of the software is as follows:

Software Version: 4.100.15.8 October 26, 2006
    Driver Version: 4.100.15.5 October 12, 2006
    Supplicant Version: 1.100.15.8 October 26, 2006

This is the version I picked up from Microsoft Updates for XP. This new version, as well as the older versions, has the memory leak. I have to kill WLTRAY.EXE and start it back up. The biggest I've seen it get is about 96 megabytes. It starts out something like five megabytes.

This is indeed a bug and after two and a half years of using this software, they have not fixed it.

Message Edited by ElectricalEngineer on 03-17-2007 07:54 PM
  • Thanks for confirming my suspicions. The only work-around I have managed to come up with is as follows.

If connected by docking station/LAN cable, then kill WLTray.exe in Task Manager. Every time. It's just not worth the hassle of getting half-way trhough a piece of work, then the machine grinding to a halt.

In fairness to the developers though, it's a tricky one to replicate precisely.

• This is incredibly easy to repro. Just switch networks repeatedly. Every day, I switch between work and home with hibernates in between. After about a week wltray.exe has about 250MB of memory allocated(50 physical and 200 virtual). As everyone else mentioned, killing and restarting the process works fine but its incredibly annoying. Anyway, just wanted to add my comments on how to repro in case someone actually reads these things...
  • You should be using the driver from Dell. (R151519 for XP) this is a recent update on 3/22/07. We've had two updates for this driver since those were done. When drivers are posted in the Windows updates you should not do those, they are typically generic for people who purchase the device retail.

• I just installed R151519. It still leaks memory like crazy.

This is easy to reproduce. Just turn on and log into your computer like normal. Make sure WLTRAY.EXE is running. Use task manager to view initial size (about 6 meg). Every two or three hours, note WLTRAY's size. You'll notice it grows like a weed.
  • Thank you for getting this to us. It is currently being looked into.

• FYI, this behavior is noted when the wireless is disabled. E.g. when I'm using the ethernet port for network connectivity and the wireless is disable via the Fn-F2 key.
  • Yes. But I am reliably informed that the people that need to know have been informed and this is being investigated.

Go Dell!
  • I hope they fix it soon, WLTRAY.EXE is now 93,932K and still growing.
  • No fix yet?