D-Link wireless card in Inspiron 1100 cannot connect to internet

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

D-Link wireless card in Inspiron 1100 cannot connect to internet

• I purchased a D-Link wireleass router (DI-524) for my Dell PC and also purchased a D-Link DWL-G630 (cardbus adapter) wireless card for a Dell Inspiron 1100. I hooked up the router and it functions fine because my Gateway notebook can connect to and use the wireless just fine. The problem is that the wireless card (D-Link DWL-G630) in the Dell Inspiron cannot connect to the internet (DNS error) and it cannot send email via POP3. The weird thing is that we can download POP3 mail, so I know the card is seeing the wireless router, but I cannot use the internet nor send email vai POP3. I also cannot hook to the Insprion 1100 using a wired connection through my router. I know the ethernet card is good because we are able to connect to satillite broadband. Are there ports that are closed as a default or other settings preventing this wireless connection on the Inspiron 1100. We also tried a different brand of wireless card, and the exact same thing happens. When we talked with D-Link, they said to contact Dell because it is a computer setting.    
  • Do you have any security software (firewalls) that may be blocking the connection?  If so, try temporarily disabling the firewalls and see if you can get it to work.

Steve

• have you set up the stmp server for outgoing mail?

Dimension 8300,
    P4 2.80GHz 800MHz w/HT
    1GB PC3200
    Sparkle 6600GT OC
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (retail) Sennheiser HD555 Headphones
    Leadtek DV2000 tv tuner,
    Seagate SATA 120,160, USB2 external 200GB
    NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD, Pioneer 16x DVD+/-RW DL DVR-109,
    Dell E152FP 15 inchs LCD
    D-link DSL-G604T Router & D-link DWL-G122 wireless adapter
    HP deskjet 3550, HP PSC 1310 all in one
    Wacom graphire3 4x5inch, PCI Cooler | 80mm hdd fan
    Benchmarks 3dmark03 8446...3dmark05 3498..3dmark06 1821...PCmark05 3448
  • All firewalls, spyware, and virus protection are off and the mail is configured with the correct ports. The other weird thing is that I can ping the router and any website. Also, if I go into safemode, everything works fine. There seems to be some settings that prevents using the internet and sending mail in the regular mode???

We also use the computer for broadband via satellite. Maybe there are there potential settings for the satellite that is preventing DSL/ethernet from working correctly????

• If it works in Safe Mode, that suggest that something is loading from startup that is blocking the internet connection.  Go to Start > Run and type msconfig then hit the Enter key.  Look at all programs that have the box checked.  Which ones are listed?

Steve

• I found out the problem. Turns out that there is a glitch in Internet Explorer that prevents use of wireless card. This is why it will work safe mode and it will work if using Netscape. Not sure what the exact glitch is, but it works with Netscape.
  • The glitch is most likely spyware that has infected your computer.  Download, install, update, and run the free versions of Ad-Aware and Spybot and let these programs remove all of the garbage that they find.

If these programs don't solve the problem, go Here and follow the directions to download and run the analysis tool called HijackThis. Generate a log file, then open it and copy and paste the text of the log file in a message in the HijackThis forum where a HijackThis expert can offer advice on how to fix the problem.

Steve