GX110 transfer rate problems

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

GX110 transfer rate problems

• Does anybody have a problem with file transfer speed issues on the new gx110 866's. with 256mb ram.
    One of the groups who got 8 new machines are complaining about file transfer speed, they tried copying a 50mb file to the server and it took 31 minutes.

I tried using my old dimensio xps and it only took 2 minutes, which onyl has a 300mhz, 90mb ram.

Any problems with the nic cards? People are telling me it has an ide HD but 25 minutes difference, I dont think so....
  • Now that I think of it my system Dimesnion has 3COM 3C905C-TXM
    same as your integrated 3C920

When I was hooked up local via crossovercable and were getting files
    off my system I notice the the system with 3com started to freeze up
    and get slow and stall. Also noticed this on a custom built system
    Try upgrading the drivers to the latest ones made in 2000!!!
  • I think there's a problem with the integrated nic cards especially trying to run the nic diagnostics. I installed an old 3c905-tx pci nic card and disabled the integrated one. NOw it transfer the file in 30seconds compare to 31 minutes...

I just want you to know in case you hear anything from dell about this...thanks for your help by the way..
  • I have just purchased my first 2 Optiplex GX110 and suffer the same problems. The slowness only happens when communicating between the Dell machines. I put them both on a local hub but no difference. Both talk perfectly to any other machine! Does anyone have a problem with network drives disconnecting in Win2000 on these machines?
  • Thanks for your reply, I changed the nic card to a non integrated nic and it's working fine. The problem is we have over a hundred of this machines and I'm not about to install a different nic for each and everyone of them. I called dell tech support and they told me 3 things one try using the original os install that came with the machine which didnt work, second try re-installing the drivers which I already did and didnt work, now they're blaming the cisco switch so what is it? Well, I still have the ticket open and where doing a lot of testing. Why dont you try uploading a 100MB file to the server using the integrated ni then try using a non integrated nic the difference will be 30 minutes.
    I'll let you know what solutions we come up with and also let me know if you find something else.

thanks,

Risk Management Solutions
    Sr. System administrator
    alexp@riskinc.com
  • I am using a GX1 with the internal NIC and it does seem to show our network drives disconnected with the red X on the drive. When I click it though, it comes right up. Don't know if this is an internal NIC problem, or if it is a WIN2K problem. There is no pattern on when it will show the dirves disconnected.
  • any news on that topic available? i would be interested too in any additional insights :)... geo