Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\btmshellex.dll since Win 8.1 upgrade

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\btmshellex.dll since Win 8.1 upgrade

This question is answered

Hi,

I keep getting this each time I reboot my system(XPS One 27) since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 -

Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\btmshellex.dll

Missing Entry: Tra &

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Any help will be appreciated!

Regards,

Alan

Verified Answer
  • Hi Alan,

Do you have any startup item that utilizes the Bluetooth capability (In my case I had Skype using my Bluetooth adapter)? If so, please try to disable any such application and check if you still receive this error message. If the error is still seen, please un-install and then re-install the drivers for Bluetooth. You might find this video useful when updating the drivers (this video is good for Windows 8.1 as well):

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
    your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
All Replies
  • Hi Alan,

Do you have any startup item that utilizes the Bluetooth capability (In my case I had Skype using my Bluetooth adapter)? If so, please try to disable any such application and check if you still receive this error message. If the error is still seen, please un-install and then re-install the drivers for Bluetooth. You might find this video useful when updating the drivers (this video is good for Windows 8.1 as well):

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
  • Hi Zohaib,

Thank-you for your reply.  I followed the link provided and I noticed the following driver downloads in the XPS One 2710 networking section for Windows 8.1 -

Dell DW1703 WiFi and BT Driver  21/10/2013 10.0.0.270, A00

Dell DW1704 802.11 b/g/n, BT4.0 + HS (Driver)  21/10/2013 12.0.0.7800, A00

Intel 6235 BT4.0 + HS (64-bit Driver)  21/10/2013 3.1.1307.360, A00

Do I remove and re-install ALL of these of only selected drivers.  If only selected drivers, which ones do I install from those listed?

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Zohaib,

I looked for Skype etc but could not find anything in the start up that would use bluetooth.  I also uninstalled/reinstalled -

Dell DW1703 WiFi and BT Driver  21/10/2013 10.0.0.270, A00

Intel 6235 BT4.0 + HS (64-bit Driver)  21/10/2013 3.1.1307.360, A00

and I also got an update through Windows update for the Intel driver BUT...

I am still getting this problem on start-up! Its really annoying!

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Alan,

XPS One 2710 is known to face Wireless and Bluetooth related problems after updating to Windows 8.1. Please check this article. Dell recommends uninstalling your wireless and Bluetooth drivers prior to Windows 8.1 update. Update your wireless and Bluetooth drivers from the Dell Drivers and Downloads website after updating to Windows 8.1.

Which one of the following methods you used to upgrade to Windows 8.1?

1. System was purchased from Dell with an operating system preceding Windows 8, for example - Windows 7 you purchased Windows 8 or pro and reinstall the operating system after backing up data and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Pro from Store.
    2. System was purchased from Dell with Windows 7, and you upgraded the operating system to Windows 8/ 8 Pro on your own.
    3. System was purchased from Dell with Windows 7 and you upgraded the operating system to Windows 8/ 8 Pro by purchasing media from Dell/ Electronic Software Distribution through qualified system.
    4. System was purchased from Dell with Windows 8 and you upgraded to Windows 8.1.

Depending on the method you used for upgrading to Windows 8.1 I will suggest you the method of getting the Media for installation.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • Hi Zohaib,

I purchased the XPS One 2710 with Windows 8 installed and I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  Unfortunately, there was no warning about uninstalling the Wireless/Bluetooth drivers when I did the upgrade on 18/10/2013.

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Alan,

This update is available on our website. You will not receive any alerts from Microsoft about this.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • Hi Zohaib,

What update?  I have tried with no success to update the drivers that are on the Dell website and still get the error.  Your tech support team could not resolve it either as per my telephone call last week.

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Alan,

I am sorry for not being clear in my previous response. I meant to say that “the information regarding uninstalling the existing Wireless Drivers prior to upgrading to Windows 8.1” is available on our website. Customers are required to go through the Windows 8.1 Pre-Update Checklist before upgrading to Windows 8.1. In case, you wish to re-install Windows 8 you will not need the discs. You can re-install Windows 8 using the steps mentioned in this video.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • Hi Zohaib,

I know that the information regarding the "uninstalling the existing drivers prior to installing Windows 8.1" is on the website but this was not available at the time I did the upgrade!  If you look at the date -

Article ID: 625366 Date Published: 2013-09-26

I did the upgrade on the 19/10/2013...

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Alan,

I apologize if there is any miscommunication or you were not able to see this article. “Thursday, September 26, 2013” is 23 days earlier from “Saturday, October 19, 2013”. If you upgraded the Windows on “Saturday, October 19, 2013”, this information was already published. You might not be able to view the article due to some technical difficulty.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • Hi Zohaib,

So, how do I get this fixed?

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Alan,

You should re-install Windows 8 using the steps mentioned in this video. After the installation is complete, un-install the wireless drivers and then update to Windows 8.1. Once the update completes reinstall the updated drivers for Windows 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
  • Dell really must sort our this dreadful problem of no Bluetooth after 8.1 upgrade a Having to lose all our non-app programs in Refresh or everything by returning to Win 8 is not on. and so on?

The XPS 1027 is a premium product, a flagship. I have tried downloading the latest drivers, it had no effect. I had Win 8 from new and just updated to Win8.1 when prompted to.  There was no warning not to uninstall drivers before Win 8.1.

Surly a utility routine could do this for us, or a patch, from Dell and then also install what we need?

It's very friustrating

• Hi PeterG123,

I agree 100%.  Also, after going through the pain of re-installing Window8 (and ALL of the apps)  and the upgrade to Windows 8.1, there is no guarantee that this will work....

Regards,

Alan

• Hi Zohaib,

Do I REFRESH OR REINSTALL Windows8?

If I refresh, will I revert to Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? And if it only refreshes to Windows 8.1 this will not cure the problem will it?

The link to the video, only covers a refresh, not a reinstall... Is there a video on a reinstall? I was sent a Windows 8 recovery media disk from your tech support team. Can I use this for a complete reinstall of Windows 8? If so, what are the steps needed to reinstall?

Regards,

Alan

I need a quick reply to this...