N5110 wireless adapter problem

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

N5110 wireless adapter problem

This question is not answered

Hey guys,

I tried to set up my new N5110 laptop today, but I'm encountering some problems with the wireless adapter. I've installed all suggested drivers from the DELL support site, but the wireless adapter does not show up in the device manager and Intel's My WiFi Utility can't find an adapter either. The Fn+F2 function key to switch on the adapter has no effect, althoug every other function key works well.

Do you have some ideas about this?

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Why do you have set up a new laptop?

A brand new laptop has the OS and all the drivers installed already.

You just need to configure the wifi for your home network.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Because I purchased the laptop without an OS and set it up with my own Win7 Ultimate licence.

• pongi87,

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I downloaded and installed the drivers in the order they appeared on the dell support site, I dont know if thats the correct order you posted. Should I reinstall Win7 and try again?

Can you explain why the adapter is not showing up in the device manager?

Thanks.

• pongi87,

Install the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers and continue installing the drivers in order. Things shiukld start working.'

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• I tried that, does not seem to work... how do I know if I need the Intel or Atheros driver for WLAN? Why does the hardware not show up in the device manager?

• pongi87,

Download and install in order...

Dell SRV,SW,DSS,VOS,1220

Intel HM67 Express Chipset Family

Intel Management Engine Interface

Wistron USB3.0-Host Controller

Realtek RTS5138 Card Reader

Realtek RTL8111E-VB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Then go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag number, click on original configuration. Look for the wireless adapter you have. Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then download the wireless adapter drivers you need as well as the bluetooth drivers(if applicable)

The download and install Dell Quickset.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I've reinstalled Win7, and tried installing the drivers according to your suggestion. I checked the warranty page, where the wireless adapter WIRELESS : EUROPE DELL WIRELESS 1702 802 was included, so I downloaded www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

But when I'm trying installing it, the window "Preparing the Install Shield Wizard" pops up, the bar fills up, and then the window closes again without actually installing anything.

Any suggestions on this?

• pongi87,

Maybe try in the Vista Compatibility mode?

Right click on it, left click run as administrator?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• tried both, also in combination, wont do...

• pongi87,

Does the adapter show in the device manager?

Can you connect near the wireless routes?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• no, as posted above, the wireless adapter does not even show up in the device manager

• hi. good news for you.

I have had the same problem.

try this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R311898&FileId=2731118922&productCode=inspiron-15r-n5110&urlProductCode=False

i hope this will help you.

• Dell-Tery B helped me with the same problem. Read this:

en.community.dell.com/.../20063796.aspx