Laptop will not acquire IP address

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Laptop will not acquire IP address

This question is not answered

I have a PC connected to the modem and 2 Dell laptops running wireless off a Netgear Wireless-G router.  All systems run WIN XP.  Yesterday, my grandson shut off the power cord to the PC, router, and modem. Now, one of the laptops cannot acquire an IP address; the other one connects fine.  The problem laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card. Before this, it had no trouble connecting and is in the same room as the router. I have rebooted both the modem and the router with no change.  I have scoured the forum and tried the WINSOCKFX and manually thru run.  The run says that the address has already been released, but will not renew.

If I missed something already here, please tell me. If you can---HELP!!!!!!!!

Thank you

All Replies
  • leowomn,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try renewing the IP address by following the steps below.

1. Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
    2. Click Run... on this menu.
    3. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
    4. Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).
    5. If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.
    6. Type 'ipconfig /renew' to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).

#iwork4Dell

• I have tried the WINSOCKFX and manually thru run.  Ipconfig states that media is disconnected and release/renew states they can't do anything with the media disconnected.  ????? 

Thanks

•  leowomn,

First thing to try.

Power off the modem and the wireless router, if any. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the isp modem/router first. Then wait 15 seconds and turn on the wireless router.

What are the settings in your router? I recomment using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Your router does not use Mac address filtering, correct?  

Try running ipconfig /all and post the information here.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I had the same problem and tried every hint and tip i could find on help forums ect. So i got fed up and just started messing around with my wireless setting and i clicked on 'Add Hidden Network' and theyre was a drop list with my routers network name on it so i clicked on that and it connected straight away.

Might not work for you but its worth giving it a go Big Smile