Where is my wireless switch on my DELL Dimension 8400 desktop?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Where is my wireless switch on my DELL Dimension 8400 desktop?

This question is not answered

I have an old DELL Dimension 8400 desktop with a DELL 1450 Wireless USB Adapter.     It was working fine with my Linksys wireless router.    I had to replace my wireless router.    I now have a D-Link 825 Dual band wireless router that I installed without any problems.   Other PC's I have are NOT having any trouble with the new router.   The 8400 does not find any networks in range even though the router is only 5 feet away.   Where is the wireless switch on the 8400 located at?

All Replies
  • There isn't one.

Only laptops with the miniPCI wireless adapter can make use of the F2 key.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• If there isn't one then why doesn't the wireless network show up when I display available networks?      The other Laptops I have pickup the new network without any problems.

• Isp0tdh,

I see that the Dimension 8400 uses a USB Adapter. Is the  Dell Wireless 1450 (802.11a/b/g) USB2.0 Adapter installed?

You said...

lsp0tdh
    It was working fine with my Linksys wireless router.    I had to replace my wireless router.    I now have a D-Link 825 Dual band wireless router that I installed without any problems.

In order for the USB Wireless Adapter to work, I would suggest this.

Update the firmware in the D-Link wireless router

Make sure to change the SSID to something you didn't use before (This will make connecting easier)

Broadcast your SSID

Use WPA-PSK (TKIP) Security (Personal)  (The USB Adapter likes this type of security)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11 (The USB adapters work best on these channels) I use channel 11

Use mixed mode.

Make sure your password is at least 12 digits long.

Save everything and exit. Turn off your ISP Modem/router and your D-Link wireless router. Wait 30 seconds. Now turn on the ISP Modem/routeer first. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the D-Link wireless router.

Restart your computer.

Now try to connect to your new network.

What happens?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!