Inspiron 6400/Dell Wireless 1490 WLAN connects but 0 packets received

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Inspiron 6400/Dell Wireless 1490 WLAN connects but 0 packets received

This question is not answered

Dell Inspiron 6400 Core Duo T2300 1.66GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP3 totally up to date
Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card
WLAN Driver bcmwl5.sys version 4.170.25.12
ZoneAlarm Free version 8.0.298.000
Avast! Free version 4.8

I pretty much haven't used the wifi on this laptop, but Ï moved to an apartment building with free wifi for the residents, so I thought I'd try it. I was able to connect to the WPA-PSK access point with the password they gave me, but I can't do anything on the internet because I'm not receiving any packets (is it ZoneAlarm?).

When I run the Network Test on the WLAN card using the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2 software, it passes a ping to IP address 192.168.0.1. Interestingly, when I look at the statistics for the WLAN card using the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2 software, the "Frames.RX OK" value is slowly incrementing.

When I look at the Status when I'm connected, I see "Status: Connected", the Network name, how long I've been connected (Duration), the connection speed and signal strength. In the activity box, there's a small number of sent packets but 0 received packets. The wifi LED illuminates when I press Fn-F2 and connect.

Normally, I have no problems on the internet with ZoneAlarm, but I suspect it might be blocking packets from the wifi access point. I'm unwilling to just shut down ZoneAlarm; I keep my machine really clean. ZoneAlarm Internet Security is set to High and Trusted Zone Security is set to Medium. Since I do online banking, the last thing I want to do is allow any malware onto my machine. (I use my ADSL connection to do the banking.) There's no support here for the free wifi; they just say no one else has a problem connecting and they don't know anything about the IP address of the access point.

One other thing is that I sometimes have problems viewing the available wireless networks. I've got Microsoft's Wireless Zero Configuration set to automatic, but sometimes I just can't see any other wireless connections. I've done a "repair" on the wifi LAN, but to no avail. I can't refresh the wireless network list and get the message "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection." I've clicked the "change advanced settings" in the Related Tasks box, selected the "Wireless Networks" tab in the Properties dialog box and checked "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"  then "View Wireless Networks" -- no joy.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

All Replies
  • squarepegger,

Try this first and see what happens.

Dell 1390/1490/1500 WLAN Minicard Connectivity Issue

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't help. I forgot to mention that I already tried it before posting my problem. My Antenna Diversity setting remains "Aux." The article mentions that the connection would drop after a few minutes, but my connection remains established as long as my radio is on; I've got it set to automatically connect to the access point in question. I'm just not receiving any packets and therefore can't do anything on the internet.

Something else is going on. After making quite sure that I've disconnected from my ADSL internet service, I connect to the aforementioned access point and soon start getting the message:

Windows - System Error
    There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

• squarepegger,

OUCH! Crying That's NOT a very good sign. Sounds like someone else is freedloading on your network. Using the settings below will make it so ONLY you and your computers are connected.

Do you have your wireless router setup correctly? Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router(I use channel 11). Do NOT use static IP addresses. If using static, the ip addresses MUST be different for each computer, printer, wirelesss device. It best to keep with DCHP.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Latest post does not apply since I don't have a wireless router.

I successfully connect to a wireless access point (it's a Netgear WG302 if you must know) via WPA-PSK encryption but then cannot do anything on the internet because I'm receiving 0 packets from the WAP. The wireless access point is provided by the management of the apartment building I just moved to. The management is clueless about what IP address the WAP might be using and there's just no support.

I'm going to open a thread at the ZoneAlarm User Forum because I see that ZoneAlarm is blocking incoming packets when I'm connected to the WAP. I don't know the IP address of the WAP, but the folks at ZoneAlarm might have an idea about common addresses used by WAPs.

• Some slight progress.

I followed these instructions:

" In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools. Double-click Services. Look for Dell wireless WLAN Tray Service. When listed, double-click Dell wireless WLAN Tray Service, choose Disabled from the drop-down menu next to Startup Type:, and then click the Stop button."

at this Dell Technical Support Web Page:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=5F5B731357E819DEE040AE0AB7E13DA9&journalid=6926C1C39DD56ADCE040AE0AB6E14907&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=9JSG1B1&contenttype=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=true

What this yielded:

• no more nasty Windows - System Error message
    • I can now view all available wireless connections at any time
    • I am now receiving a few packets (first 3, then 4 then 7)

I still can't access any web pages. I remain connected to the access point as long as my wireless radio is on (Fn-F2).

No reply posted at the ZoneAlarm forum yet. When I look at my ZA log now, I see that ZA is not blocking anything during the time I'm connected to the access point, so maybe my problem isn't ZA.

• [SOLVED!]

The TCP/IP settings for my Wireless Network Connection were bad, really bad. I had a static IP address selected (preventing DHCP) and no DNS server addresses entered. In the hope that this will be helpful to others, I'm providing instructions for what I did to solve my problem:

Open Network Connections. Right click Wireless Network Connection. Select Properties. Under the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click the Properties button. Under the General tab in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) dialog box, make sure the radio button labeled "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected. Make sure either the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" radio button is selected, or, better IMHO, click the "Use the following DNS server addresses:" radio button and enter

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222
        Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

These are the DNS server addresses for OpenDNS. Check 'em out at http://www.opendns.com -- they be cool.