Problems with WWAN 5530 in a XPS M1330 - device not detected

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Problems with WWAN 5530 in a XPS M1330 - device not detected

This question has suggested answer(s)

I was using a Dell WWAN 5520 for months in my XPS M1330 with Vista 32 SP1. The 5520 worked fine, but the software application (dell mobile broadband card utility) was quite buggy. Due to this and the fact, that Dell isn´t willing to release the firmware upgrade for the 5520 for HSDPA 7,2 Mbs i decided to upgrade to a Dell WWAN 5530.

After some installation problems now the 5530 is running, GPS is working too.

But there is an annoying problem: After hibernation mode the 5530 will not be detected again and there is no way but rebooting to get the card working again ;(

The three entries on the device manager for the 5530 are missing after starting from hibernation. But i don´t think that this problem is caused by a driver or OS problem because of this:

When I go to BIOS menu after starting from hibernation there is "none" shown under "device info" - "cellular device". Already the bios doesn´t recognize the 5530, all the more Vista won´t do. After restarting the machine the 5530 is detected by the BIOS again. Standby-mode is no problem for the 5530 too.

"Cellular device" in the "Wireless" menu of the BIOS is enabled all the time of course.

Resetting the BIOS setting to default after starting from hibernation lets appear the "cellular device" as "installed" again. But it´s no solution for me to reset the BIOS every time after starting from hibernation...

I tried to solve this issue with BIOS A14, A12 an A11. No success. With BIOS A11 the 5530 is not detected at all.

Currently I am back at BIOS A10.

Has anyone ideas oder a solution for this problem?

TIA

All Replies
  • Can you tell me what drivers you are using for this device. I am having the same problem but I do not think I have the right drivers. Also, when you install the 5530 did you have problem with the cable length of the wires that connec to the card?? My White canble is not long enough. Do you know what the blue cable is for..Thanks in advance. Would like to get a copy of the drives that you are using..

Connie

• Hi,

I have the 5520 wwan . pls can you give me the 7.2 mbps firmware .

Thanks Peaceman

• Here are the steps on how to get the 'SIM CARD' works on your Dell XPS M1330. You will have to BUY a WWAN card to make it work for you. The slot is just a DUMMY for now.

What will you need to have?

1. Buy Dell 5530 WWAN card. I bought 1 for MYR240.00. This is HSxPA card with GPS!. Yes, GPS. Where to buy? Try http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2009-10D...bs-3G-MODEM.htm [Malaysia]

2. Download Latest Driver & Wireless Manager Application from Dell support website. There are some tricks on how to get the GPS working later on.

3. A Philips Screw Driver

Hardware Installation Steps:-

1. Remove the battery and check the SIM CARD slot. Slot in your CELCOM, DIGI or Maxis Broadband SIM Card. [Malaysia]

2. See beneath your M1330. Look for the SLOT with C label. Unscrew it. You will see an empty slot beside the Wifi Card with WWAN label.

3. Unscrew one available screw there. This is to fix the 5530 card on the mainboard.

4. Slot in your 5530 card and screw it back.

5. Carefully connect the 2 antennas to the 5530 card, MAIN & AUX. The antennas are already inside the mainboard. There are 3 antennas. Ignore the BLUE one. Use your common sense to determine which antenna to which connector. There are a long and short antennas.

6. Put back the cover and screw it.

7. Boot your M1330 and enter the BIOS. It will auto update. Pls set [THOROUGH] at POST Behaviour. Save and reboot. It is IMPORTANT to select THOROUGH. Otherwise you card will become like YOYO or NOW-U-SEE-IT-NOW-U-DON'T.

Required Drivers & Applications:-

1. Driver1. Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mini-Card Driver, Version : A07, OEM Version: Driver: v4.50.6.0 Co-installer: v1.0.12.1, Created : Monday, August 24, 2009, OS : XP & VISTA . DELL Driver No. R220893

2. Driver2 for USB Minicard Version : 4.48.1.9001, Created August 20, 2008. This will overwrite newer driver in order to get your GPS working.

3. Driver3 for GPS. Version 1.0.0.25 Created : August 5, 2008. This will overwrite the newer driver in order to get your GPS working.

4. Application1. Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mini-Card Application, Version A02, OEM Version: 5.2.1045.60, Created : Monday, August 24, 2009, OS : XP & VISTA

FOR Driver1, get it from ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/DELL_WIRELESS-...A07_R220893.exe

FOR Driver2 and Driver3, get it from http://usapilot.com/tmp/Dell_5530_GPS.zip . Driver2 is inside the d553bus, Driver3 is inside the d553gps. Ignore the rest of the folders.

FOR Application1, get it from ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/R207067.exe

Drivers & Application Installation Steps:-

1. Install Driver1. When you finished installing this, reinstall the driver again. YES, just do it.

2. Go to Device Manager. Under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, update 5530 HSPA with Driver2.

3. Go to Device Manager, Port (COM & LPT), update 5530 HSPA GPS Port with Driver3.

4. Install Application1, Dell Wireless Manager.

NOW, have fun. Run the Wireless Manager and check the MENU BAR. Under the VIEW, you will see SETTINGS, PHONEBOOKS ....GPS. If you don't see GPS. Have fun again, try to find a solution. Just google [Dell 5530 GPS].

This 5530 Card will work with all BIOSes. Don't BUY Sierra Wireless MC8775. MC8775 will not work with BIOS other than A02. Latest M1330 BIOS is A15.

What is my machine configuration?

I have installed the 5530 successfully. Here is my machine config:-

1. XPS M1330 bought on April 2008 with BIOS A15

2. Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Originally comes with Vista Home and I 'upgraded' to XP. Vista SUCKS!

3. 5530 WWAN Card KM266 Rev. A00

ADDITIONAL NOTES:-

I tested two things a moment ago:-

1. First I put my M1330 into standby mode and then I resumed the session. My 5530 WWAN works.

2. Then I enabled hibernation, put my M1330 into hibernation mode and then I pressed the ON/OFF to resume the session. Again my 5530 WWAN works.

I know that my reply is too late but hopefully it will benefit the others.

Is this guide valuable to you?

Send me a Thank You note.

• We installed it the same way. It works fine. As stated in the original post, the problem is when you hybernate the machine after restoring it, the wwan card is not found. I have the same problem as in the original post, latest firare, latest drivers you mentioned. I do not think it is OS related (as mentioned in original post). The WWAN slot is obviously not powered on hybernation. It could be a physical limitation or a bios thing. Hardly waiting on Dell to resolve this issue (it is extremely annoying getting somewhere out, restore from hybernation and then restart to use the wwan card).

• We installed it the same way. It works fine. As stated in the original post, the problem is when you hybernate the machine after restoring it, the wwan card is not found. I have the same problem as in the original post, latest firare, latest drivers you mentioned. I do not think it is OS related (as mentioned in original post). The WWAN slot is obviously not powered on hybernation. It could be a physical limitation or a bios thing. Hardly waiting on Dell to resolve this issue (it is extremely annoying getting somewhere out, restore from hybernation and then restart to use the wwan card).

• Hi,

I tested two things a moment ago:-

1. First I put my M1330 into standby mode and then I resumed the session. My 5530 WWAN works within seconds.

2. Then I enabled hibernation, put my M1330 into hibernation mode and then I pressed the ON/OFF to resume the session. Again my 5530 WWAN works within seconds.

I wrote this reply upon resuming (waking-up from) my hibernation mode. My BIOS is A15 in addition to my machine info as previously explained.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
    What is the difference between Hibernate and Standby in Windows XP?

Answer:
    Hibernate and Standby are two different sleep options offered in Windows XP.

Hibernate saves an image of your desktop, including all open windows and files. Then it powers down your computer just as if you had turned it off. When you turn your computer on again, your windows and files are open just as you left them.

Standby is a more traditional sleep mode, as it reduces the power your computer uses to almost nothing. When you select Standby, the power to your screen, hard drive, and peripheral devices is cut. However, the power to the computer's memory (RAM) is maintained so your open files stay open.

• >>7. Boot your M1330 and enter the BIOS. It will auto update. Pls set [THOROUGH] at POST Behaviour. Save and reboot. It is IMPORTANT to select THOROUGH. Otherwise >>you card will become like YOYO or NOW-U-SEE-IT-NOW-U-DON'T.

That´s the point.

I´ve posted the workaround with the "Thourough"-mode more than a half year ago and nothing happened @ Dell :(

We need to get the 5530 working in the XPS series without this workaround. The booting time caused by the "Thourough"-mode or to press "Esc" to exit the boot menu is annoying.

<<The WWAN slot is obviously not powered on hybernation.

No, that isn´t the problem. It´s a specific problem with the 5530. I had the 5520 before in the same XPS M1330 and the 5520 worked  properly also after hibernation.

I guess it´s a BIOS problem. It´s not related to the used OS. But some versions of the 5530 seem to work properly with the M 1330.

I talked several times to Dell to get them to release a "5530-ready" BIOS version. But Dell always denied to help me with the argument that the 5530 is not compatible with the M1330 and so there is no support :(