Forums

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Can't install wireless driver

• Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron B130.  OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 service pack 3, v.3300.  It has an internal wireless network card, and I know this because I have used this laptop for 2 years with wireless.  I recently reformatted it, and I had to re-download all of the drivers via the dell website.  All of these drivers worked well, the only problem is the wireless driver refuses to download.  Whenever I run the setup with R151519 or with R14047 I get an error that says "No compatible hardware found.  The software you are attempting to install is not supported on this system.  The software will not be installed.  Setup will now exit."
  • Both driver download files that you mention are for Dell wireless network adapters.  Are you sure you don't have an Intel wireless network adapter?

Also, it ia absolutely essential that you install the drivers in the correct order.  The Notebook System Software and chipset drivers must be installed before even attempting to install other device drivers.  

Steve

• Yes, I downloaded the chipset software and notebook system software beforehand.  And I have the wireless card that comes with the Inspiron B130, the internal one.  If there are any other driver installations that I could try, a link to it would be very helpful.
  • Alright I see the problem, the notebook system software isn't installed.  I got the driver from dell.com, R120775, and whenever I try to run setup it says "setup cannot run on this machine", which produces another set of problems
  • Are you absolutely sure you have the Dell internal wirless adapter.  There was a choice when you ordered.  If you have the Intel internal wireless adapter (drivers on the same page under Network), then there is no way ever that the Dell drivers will install!!!

Steve

• How would I check which one I have?
  • 1.  You could check your original system invoice (I know, you like thousands of other users have no idea where this important document is). 

2.  You could go to the following site, enter your service tag number, then click on the Original Configuration tab to get a very cryptic list of the components shipped with your computer from the factory

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&l=en&s=gen

3.  You could open the door to the wireless network adapter and look to see if it says Intel or Dell.

4.   Since the Dell drivers won't install, you could make the assumption that it must have the Intel adapter and try installing the Intel drivers.

Steve

• Geoff, since you have your service tag in your profile I pulled it up.  Your system was ordered with the Dell Wireless 1370 (Broadcom) card, so it sounds like you were trying the correct driver.

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.

• Alright, I figured I had the right driver download.  It still isn't working, I'm guessing it isn't installing because I don't have the Notebook System Software installed, which isn't installing either.  I get a "Setup cannot run on this machine" error whenever I try to install the NSS.
  • If you did not install the drivers in the correct order the first time, you may be better off reformatting, reinstalling Windows and then installing the drivers in the correct order.

Steve

• Does it really make that big of a difference what order they are installed in?  I mean, I don't want to reformat my pc again just to find out that wasn't a problem.  But if I need to, I will do it.
  • If the notebook system software and the chipset drivers are not installed first, Windows will not be able to recognize nor properly install drivers for many devices connected to the motherboard.    Thus it is ABSOLUTLEY ESSENTIAL that the drivers be installed in the CORRECT ORDER.   You can try uninstalling all of the drivers you installed originally, then installing the notebook system software and chipset drivers, and then reinstalling the other drivers.  My experience is that I can get this to work, but my experience is also that when I tell someone to do this on a forum like this one, it rarely works (probably because they don't completely uninstall all the drivers).  Ultimately, most people have to start over and then install the drivers correctly after a reformat and reinstall of Windows.

Steve

• Usually it works to just reinstall all the drivers, in the correct order, without uninstalling any first.  Of course, uninstalling the drivers and then installing in the correct order can fix other driver related problems as well, so it is still a good idea. ;)

You can request replacement reinstallation media for US purchased systems here.
    Dell Drivers & Downloads for all systems.

• Alright guys, thanks for all the help, I'm just going to reformat and reinstall XP, then download the drivers in the right order.  One last question, what is the exact order I need to install everything?  I know chipset and notebook system software first, after that does it matter?
  • So long as the Notebook System Software and chipset drivers are installed first, the other drivers can be installed in any order.

Steve