Forums

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Internal wireless card for Dell Dimension 3000

• Hi.  My daughters Dell Dimension 3000 (yes its that old) has been working well on wireless USB cards, but every USB slot on the computer has got "sloppy" ie causes intermittent drop out of the network.

As I would like to keep the computer going for a bit I want to install an internal wireless network card.  Can someone recommend one or suggest a solution to the sloppy USB wireless dongles.

Regards

Mark

• Which OS are you running?

Rule of thumb is to buy a card from the same manufacturer as the one that makes your router.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Hi - I am using XP SP2.

I have searched for DELL wireless cards - but find it all a bit confusing about which is compatible with or which fits which

Regards

• Your Dimension 3000 is a full-size computer so there are no worries if you buy a full-height PCI board and not a half-height card. There is no reason to buy it from Dell. I'm the more adventurous type. I'd just buy a used one from eBay at a reasonable price. That's what I did for a Ethernet card for my Dimension 4100. You might want to check your local Craigslist and see if someone is trying to sell one.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• You should be able to pick up a PCI 10/100 ethernet adapter that will work for less than $10 at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Frey's, Walmart, Office Depot, Office Max, etc.

Steve