Device Ownership Password???

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Device Ownership Password???

This question is answered

I just upgraded the driver for the Intel 2200BG network adapter on my Inspiron 9300. After doing this a Wi-Fi Protected Setup wizard launched and asked me for the "device ownership password". I don't know what they are referring to. Entering my network password doesn't resolve the issue. It says this password "is displayed or printed on the device". I can't find this number anywhere. CAn someone tell me what to do. I can't proceed any further and it won't let me connect to my network.

Verified Answer
  • Hey Annette and anyone else, 

re: Device Ownership Password on  Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless

I spent way to much time trying to bypass/fix this and finally found the answer at:

http://amaras-tech.co.uk/article/168/Device_Ownership_Password

which says:

While using a pool laptop from work and trying to connect to my home wifi I am prompted for my Device Ownership Password. It will only accept numerics, I believe this is requesting the ‘Security Pin’ which is stamped on the bottom of my netgear router.

This is only happening because the laptop is using Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software, no other devices I have ever ask for this.

It can be disabled by:

Control Panel -> 
    add
    or remove programs ->
    Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software ->
    Repair ->
    Modify ->
    WI
    -FI PROTECTED SETUP (change to not installed)

Now connecting to the WiFi I am just prompted for my network password, like all other devices.

THIS WORKED!!!

All Replies
  • Is there a password label anywhere on the access point/router?
  • Do you have the little signal icon in the task bar? if so right click on it and select open intel proset. in the box that pops up just set up your network in a new profile

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• The Device ownership PW is different from the network key and the router password. This is a setting in the router (mostly for Linksys and Netgear), and you may be able to check this info under the wifi-protection setting in the router page. I suggest you call your router's manufacturer.

If you call the dell wireless support, they will just tell you the same thing as this has nothing to do with the laptop but with the router.

Goodluck

• I had the same problem. Some wifi routers caused my notebook to directly show the normal password entry dialog and some caused the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup wizard" dialog to show up as you mentioned.

Solution: I have a "Profile..." link at the bottom of the dialog that lists all the available wifi connections. When I clicked this link and then clicked "Add..." profile and explicitely entered the SSID, security settings and normal password as you would expect, the connection went through and the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup wizard" dialog did not show up any more.

• Thanks a million, spent weeks tearing my hair out over this. The add profile resolved it for me! I can finally move out of the corner I've been chained to by my ethernet cable Big Smile

• I am trying to get onto a wifi site at my cabin. It asks me for the device password which it says is posted on the computer. I cannot find it. Can you tell me where it is?
  • mofeeves,

You should be able to find your network.

Click on it. It should ask you to type in the password you put on the wireless network.

You did setup the wireless router, correct?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• jimmyneutron
    I just upgraded the driver for the Intel 2200BG network adapter on my Inspiron 9300. After doing this a Wi-Fi Protected Setup wizard launched and asked me for the "device ownership password". I don't know what they are referring to. Entering my network password doesn't resolve the issue. It says this password "is displayed or printed on the device". I can't find this number anywhere. CAn someone tell me what to do. I can't proceed any further and it won't let me connect to my network.

I have a dell inspiron laptop and cannot get online without device ownership password.  My daughter can get on with her laptop.  Just where is this ownership password come from ? I cannot find it anywhere on the computer?  The laptop is inspiron 8600.

• Hi

I had this for the first time when I changed my encription to Wpa2.  Hadn't noticed it before.  It only accepts numbers in the box.  Sussed it in the end!

My Netgear dgnd3700 has a label above the serial number label called security pin.  It is an 8-digit number an that is what you want 

• Hello, The password label is worn off,so it seems I have no access unless you have a suggestion.

Regards.

francis23

• Cant help other tah to choose a weaker encyrption

• I own a dell latitude D630 and keep getting Device Ownership showing up when I try to hook up to Wifi. This is very frustrating when you're trying to connect

to wireless at Tim Hortons or Mc Donalds etc. How do I stop this and make it normal. Connect to the site and just key in the password and go????

Please let me know asap please. I am using it for my business and cannot even hook up to the internet there.

Thanks Annette Roy

• Hey Annette and anyone else, 

re: Device Ownership Password on  Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless

I spent way to much time trying to bypass/fix this and finally found the answer at:

http://amaras-tech.co.uk/article/168/Device_Ownership_Password

which says:

While using a pool laptop from work and trying to connect to my home wifi I am prompted for my Device Ownership Password. It will only accept numerics, I believe this is requesting the ‘Security Pin’ which is stamped on the bottom of my netgear router.

This is only happening because the laptop is using Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software, no other devices I have ever ask for this.

It can be disabled by:

Control Panel -> 
    add
    or remove programs ->
    Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software ->
    Repair ->
    Modify ->
    WI
    -FI PROTECTED SETUP (change to not installed)

Now connecting to the WiFi I am just prompted for my network password, like all other devices.

THIS WORKED!!!

• I swear if you were in front of me I'd give you the biggest kiss ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

I had to find the intel pro driver and click on the installer to find the modify option....but it worked

• Setting a profile was exactly the right solution for me.

Thanks for your post.

Bob Morgan