Failed Memory Diagnostic Test for Dell Wireless WLAN 1390

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Failed Memory Diagnostic Test for Dell Wireless WLAN 1390

• I had a Failed Memory Diagnostic Test for my Dell Wireless WLAN 1390 so I cannot connect to my wireless network at all. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks
  • I'm not sure this matters since the wirelesss card does not have any memory on it anyway.  What are the symptoms?  Can you see any wireless networks in your vicinity?  Is the wireless radio turned on?  Which model computer do you have?  Which version of Windows are you running?

Steve
  • It is a Inspiron E1505 running windows XP professional. I cant connect to the wireless network at all (it cant get past 'aquiring network address'. Other computers can connect to the network, so the network works, and the signal is strong. I can see the networks, but just cannot connect to them. There are a bunch of diagnostic tests in the dell wireless window, and the memory test is the one that failed. I cant seem to find what these mean though, and it just says to go to dell support. Thanks

Message Edited by jesss1224 on 08-07-2007 07:32 PM
  • Again, failing the memory test is not likely the problem.  As a troubleshooting step, can you connect to the internet through a wired ethernet connection?

Steve
  • Yes, I can connect with a regular ethernet
  • To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve
  • Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jessica Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : twcny.rr.com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont roller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-12-82-25 Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : twcny.rr.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CE-36-F7-16 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.108 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.9 24.92.226.102 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:59:52 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:59:52 PM
  • This shows that you are making a connection with the router, so the wireless card is working.  Have you tried power cycling your router (turning it off for a minute then turning it back on)?  

Try booting to Safe Mode with Network support and see if you can sucessfully connect to the internet.  Report back what you find.

Steve
  • Wireless card has it's own memory. If memory test failed after running the dell wireless wlan card diagnostic, wireless card needs replacement. trust me! I called dell tech support with the issue and they immidiately replaced the wireless card. Now system connects fine with the new wireless card.