Dell Latitude D620 not connecting to Wifi

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Dell Latitude D620 not connecting to Wifi

• Can someone please help?  I have a Latitude D620 that is connecting fine to my wireless at home.  However, when I try to connect to another wireless network (my neighbors) or go into a store with wi-fi, I cannot connect.  I SEE their networks, can click on them and then click "connect" through the Dell Wireless utility, but once I click "connect" nothing happens.  I have tried using Windows XP to manage the connection to, but either way it is not working.  Please help!  I bought this for work so I could travel with it, and now it is virtually useless if I can't get online while away.

Thanks in advance!

• Make sure your TCP/IP properties on the wireless adapter are set to :Obtain an IP address automatically.  It sounds like you are using a static IP address which is only valid for your home router.

Steve
  • I also have the same problem. I set TCP/IP properties on the wireless adapter are set to obtain an IP address automatically but nothing happen. Also there is no one seem to care my last post about this problem "Problem connecting through internet with wireless". I posted it on May 14, 2007-ne30n2.

I live in Thailand so I downloaded new driver for Vista(except Us,Japan), but nothing happen. Please help.
  • Thanks, Steve.  Where would I go to check that out?  I
  • guavagirl,

To check your TCP/IP properties, open Network Connections, right click your wireless connection and select Properties from the drop-down menu.   In the list of items, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click on Properites.   Make sure that it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and to Obtain the dns server address automatically.

Steve
  • Fantastic!  My computer is at home, so I'll check into it tonight and will report back tomorrow.  Thanks, again, Steve.
  • ahhhh, Steve.  I wish it had been that simple.  I checked and both my DNS & IP  are getting the addresses automatically.  Any other ideas of what it could possibly be?

Thanks, again.
  • Try temporarily disabling any firewalls you may have running.  If that doesn't help, when you are within range of one of these networks that you cannot connect to, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this.  I tried looking into the firewall situation, and that didn't help.  Running ipconfig/all on the command prompt got me the following info:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Russ

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont

roller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-BA-49-50

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-52-F4-98

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network from

TOSHIBA

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-CD-95-2C

Does that help?  Thanks, again for your time and assistance

Kettie

• No it doesn't help.  Were you in range of a wireless network?  Was your wireless network adapter turned on? 

Steve
  • yes, and yes...  The minute I am home near my own wireless, it connects without a problem.  I don't even have to do anything... it just automatically connects.  :(