Inspiron 1300 with Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI C - Connection problem!

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Inspiron 1300 with Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI C - Connection problem!

• Hi,
    Please help!!! I bought my husband an Inspiron 1300 for Christmas and wanted to connect to my existing wireless network (my desktop is connected to the cable broadband modem and router and my own laptop connected wirelessly). I got the Inspiron to connect to the router (Linksys-G) but I cannot get an IP to connect to the internet. I have tried everything in the manual and tips found here on the forum - I even had a technician in but he was unable to get it to connect either! He said that either the router is incompatible or I need to get an adapter? I am sure there must be a cheaper solution and would really appreciate any advice you can give.
    Many thanks.
    Marcia
  • To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.  Make sure you do this on the computer with the problem.

Steve
  • Hi Steve,

ipconfig as follows:

Windows IP Configuration
           Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bruno
           Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
           Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
           IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
           WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
           Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
           Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
           Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-74-9D-FA

Thanks,
    Marcia
  • Is that the full ipconfig /all output?  It doesn't even show the presence of a wireless network adapter!  You are trying to connect this machine by wireless, aren't you?

If you open Device Manager and expand the listing for Network Adapters, is there a wireless network adapter shown there?  If you open Network Connections, is their a wireless network connection showing up there?

Steve
  • I rebooted and ran the script again:

Windows IP Configuration
           Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bruno
           Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
           Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
           IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
           WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
           Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
           Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
           Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-74-9D-FA
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
           Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
           Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
           Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7D-0C-6D-41
           Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
           IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
           Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
           Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
           DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

Because the Inspiron was not picking up an IP, we reset the router and tried again without success. Finally we added an IP manually and when you open the browser you can see the system actually trying to connect. Last time I logged out of the browser, McAfee dialog popped up saying system was trying to access the internet and asking if access should be granted!

Marcia

Marcia
  • You really need to set DHCP to On (i.e. do not assign an IP address, but obtain the IP address automatically).  Furthermore, you need to set your firewall to allow internet access, otherwise it will never work.

Steve
  • Hi Steve,

The setting was originally set to on - in fact all settings were ok and no IP addresses entered either on the Inspiron or my other laptop. The technician who came lost the connection to my other laptop when he reset the router and then couldn't get an IP address for that either! So, he said he'd make a static connection (or something) and entered the settings manually. He managed to get my other laptop connected but not the Inspiron. Then he started trying all sorts of ways and means to get the Inspiron connected but wasn't successful and suggested I either buy another router or check to see if I need an adaptor!

Marcia
  • Hi Steve,

I don't understand how a professional IT technician didn't think to check the firewall!!! I changed the McAfee firewall settings and voila I got an internet connection immediately! Now the big task for me is to delete the ip addresses and try and get an ip automatically through the network. Thanks a million.

Marcia