Internet connection using UMTS SIM on a Latitude D620?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Internet connection using UMTS SIM on a Latitude D620?

• How do I have to set up a internet connection using UMTS/GPRS SIM on my Latitude D620?
  • Sometimes you'l fined out youreself step by step:
    - I did install Dell Mobile Broadband Card Utility driver, but

It respondes with a message "No device detected" and I have a modem were I can insert my SIM???

I am sure somebody has already solved this problem!

• Hi!

Look in the BIOS, device options: Under "Cellular" is "installed" mentioned? If yes, the hardware-UMTS-modem is installed. If "not installed" appears, then you have to buy one (german page: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=de&l=de&s=dhs&cs=dedhs1&sku=556-10001)

"and I have a modem were I can insert my SIM???"
    I don't understand this clearly enough: Did you find the place to insert your SIM or don't you?

If you order the UMTS-card there comes a Vodafone-SIM and a tool-cd enclosed, which you can use instead of the DELL tool. It has quite more options.

I use a D420 with the modem, but I'm worried about the download-rates: I have 3G+ (means HSDPA with up to 1,8MBits/s) and downloaded the new Skype-client with 10KB/s....

Perhaps you can give me the rates you have, when it's running in your 620.

Just another question: How satisfied are you with your D620? I think about to purchase it for my girl-friend. What config do you use?

Thanks for answer in advance and hope to see you online with the UMTS, soon :-)

Greetings
    Tademos
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the hit; from the BIOS it looks like that I have no mobile card (although I could insert my SIM card, what indicates that I have one???). I will check it when I have switched my laptop off (the place is behind my battery).

For recommendations: It feels and runs ok; fast, nice screen, only the battery doesn't last for 1,5 hour when working with WLAN, so I ordered a large one.

For private use I would consider an apple; much cheaper and more software in the package!.
    Cheers!
  • The slot for the SIM is always there under the battery. But the modem for himself is under the cover you could open where the RAM is, too. There you'll find the WLAN-modul and beside this there es a slot for the WWAN-module.

Your thoughts were mine at the beginning :-) So, as me you have to buy such a WWAN/UMTS/mobile card, which name you prefer ;-)

The battery on my D420 also runs 1,5-2 hours with WLAN, and I have already purchased the greater one.

• Evertvda
    How do I have to set up a internet connection using UMTS/GPRS SIM on my Latitude D620?

• I'm  using latitude d620 laptop and i want to the Sim plot to browse, how can i use it? 

• patirckenin,

If you did not order the sim feature, the slot is there but probably no hardware to make the sim card work.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• patirckenin

I'm  using latitude d620 laptop and i want to the Sim plot to browse, how can i use it? 

You need to BUY a WWAN card. Cingular is AT&T now.

o Dell Wireless 5505 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA (Vodafone UK, France, Germany)
    o Dell Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband 3G HSDPA ( Cingular US)
    o Dell Wireless 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA EVDO ( Verizon WirelessUS)

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• How do I have to set up a internet connection using UMTS/GPRS SIM on my Latitude D620?

• abusaleemm

How do I have to set up a internet connection using UMTS/GPRS SIM on my Latitude D620?

Do you have a WWAN card in your D620?

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7