Latitude C600 wireless problems

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Latitude C600 wireless problems

• I have a Latitude C600 running Windows XP Pro.  Windows can find the wireless card, and says it is working fine.  I updated the drivers, and it still cannot find the network.  The network works perfectly on my Inspiron.  Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • To help troubleshoot this problem, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

• Thanks for your help.  Here is what the Windows IP Configuration said:

Host name--home-am9bmu

Primary DNS Suffix-- (Blank)

Node Type--Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled--Yes

WINS Proxy enabled--No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State--Media Disconnected

Description--Xircom Cardbus Ethernet 100 + modem 56 (Ethernet interface)

Physical Address--00-10-A4-9F-45-05

• That's not too helpful.  Are you sure that is the complete output?  It does not show the presence of a wireless adapter, only a PC Card ethernet/modem combo device and that's disconnected.  What kind of wireless network adapter do you have?  If it is a PC Card adapter, is it inserted in the slot?

Steve

• I'm sorry, here is the rest of the readout.  I had turned off the card and not restarted it again after I turned it back on.

Ethernet adapter wireless Network Connection
    Media state--Media disconnected
    Description--Dell True Mobile 1150 Series Mini PCI Card
    Physical Address--00-02-2D-33-E6-0F

Thanks again.

• Is the wireless card turned on?  Try using the Fn F2 key combination which toggles the wireless radio on and off.  

Steve
  • I've tried using the Fn F2 toggle, and the client manager that goes with the latest driver for the wireless card has its own toggle.  I have turned the radio on and off, at nd it never recognizes the network.  It's strange...
  • On your router, is SSID broadcasting enabled?  Is MAC address filtering enabled?  Is WEP or WPA encryption enabled?  Have you tried power cycling the router?  Have you tried resetting the router to its default settings by pressing and holding in the reset button on the back of the router?

Steve

• SSID broadcasting is enabled. The only thing I can find out about the MAC address is that it is using the default MAC address. WEP and WPA encryption are both disabled. I am not sure how to power cycle the router. I have reset the router, and that didn't help, either.

I think the problem might have something to do with the TrueMobile client manager. It says there is no SSID, but there is no way to setup the connection manually. Any more thoughts?
  • Indeed there is a way to set up the connection manually.  Open the Dell utility.  On the Wireless Networks tab, there should be a button to "Add" a wireless network.  If you click on that you should be able to type in the SSID of the network you are trying to connect to.

Steve

• Where exactly is the Dell utility where I can make those changes? There is no place to Add a wireless network that I can find. It seems easy, but I don't know where to find it. Thanks for all of your help.
  • I only have the latest version of the utility to look at, but I know it is there in older versions as well because up until a few months ago, I was using the Dell utility.  On the version I have (4.10.47.3) it is on the Wireless Networks page.   As I recall, in the older version (3.1.xxx, I think) it is on the Wireless Networks tab, under "Preferred Networks", where you would click the Add button and fill in the information.

Steve

• I did all of that, and entered the SSID for my network...and it still doesn't work. Still trying...
  • First go to the following site and download the latest driver for the Dell wireless adapter:

Then go into Device Manager, expand the listing for Network Adapters, right click the wireless adapter, and select Unistall.  Reboot the computer, then run the driver installation file that you just downloaded.

Steve
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled the newest driver, but it still won't recognize the network. I really have no idea why it's not working now.