Are there plans to allow the dell venue pro 8 to charge from micro to USB adapter cable?

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

Are there plans to allow the dell venue pro 8 to charge from micro to USB adapter cable?

This question is answered

I have a micro USB to USB cable that allows to device to be charged at the same time but it does not work with the Venue Pro 8. Any ideas on whether it is a physical limitation or something software related?

Verified Answer
  • I have now got the answer to this query. It is a restriction of the USB standard and the requirement for OTG cable to detect USB is connected. There are some explanations on the web around this behaviour on the web if you search for them.

All Replies
  • I believe it is a limitation Microsoft enforces to protect their revenue for Windows laptops and desktops.  They don't want you to attach a mouse, monitor, and keyboard and use it like a little Windows computer so crippling it by only allowing battery use was the way to go in their minds.  This kind of anti-consumer activity never lasts long.

• Actually you can plug a mouse and keyboard in to it and use it like a desktop with an OTG cable. For now it looks like you have to go with a Bluetooth mouse if you want to charge at the same time. Though I heard a powered USB hub would charge and let you plug in a mouse and keyboard, though I have not tried it yet.

• GR8BigCheese

I believe it is a limitation Microsoft enforces to protect their revenue for Windows laptops and desktops.  They don't want you to attach a mouse, monitor, and keyboard and use it like a little Windows computer so crippling it by only allowing battery use was the way to go in their minds.  This kind of anti-consumer activity never lasts long.

Just a little conspiratorial Tongue Tied

As far as I know, the only computer that Microsoft "makes" it the Surface. This is much more likely a Dell design issue.

• The powered USB hub does not let you charge and use USB devices. Right now there is no solution to use USB devices and charge at the same time, unless you want to rip cables apart, solder stuff, and void your warranty.

• I have used a power USB hub and been able to get a mouse, keyboard and USB display device running fine but it did not charge.

• Is this relating to it sensing OTG on the cable Vs a plain power cable?

• It seems that any USB to mini USB cable other that the one supplied by Dell will not charge my Venue. I'm not sure why but this seems to go beyond a power hub problem.

• I have seen some other posts on this - for me it works as long as it is a charging cable - for the Dell to charge it needs the cable to not be an On-the-go cable (OTG) since these have a resistor between pin 5 and pin 4 allowing the dell to detect it and switch in to powering out rather than accepting power in. Also since the Dell connector is an A and the cable is a B it is possible to get them on the wrong way up which will not charge.

• I have now got the answer to this query. It is a restriction of the USB standard and the requirement for OTG cable to detect USB is connected. There are some explanations on the web around this behaviour on the web if you search for them.

• A powered USB hub will not permit charging at the same time, but will reduce or eliminate attached USB devices from draining the Venue's internal battery. Even so — some demanding tasks — like HD movie playback, file transfers, etc. can still deplete the Venue battery after a few hours. This limitation in the design of the Venue 8 Pro dual-purpose USB port can make it's use as an all-day desktop replacement impractical or impossible — depending on the tasks you intend to throw at it ...

• From my use of a Dell Venue 8 pro. I have found that it's the charger that is wired different so that the factory charger is the only power supply that can be used. I've used two different charging and sync cables both work. A USB hub won't charge it. Use the same cable with the Dell charger, it works fine.

Checking the charger. The two OUTSIDE connectors are power and the two inside are shorted.

• So far I've used my Nexus 7, and my nook HD+ chargers and both have worked just fine.

I'm wondering if some people who have been having issues with non-Dell chargers have been using lower amperage cell phone chargers instead of tablet chargers.

• I've charged the V8P, using the Dell-supplied USB cable, from the USB ports on an APC external laptop battery, and from a "Zing" wireless hotspot charger using the hotspot's charger and cable.