Dell Venue 8 Pro not CHARGING!!!!

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Venue 8 Pro not CHARGING!!!!

This question is answered

I purchased this from amazon and it came fully charged. I used it for roughly 3 days and I let it die last night watching a video. I left it charging 3 hrs today with the device off and when I powered it on the batter only says 2% charged. I am using the provided charger that came with the device and the light is on when it is charging. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> Dell !?!!!????

Verified Answer
  • As I posted above, just peel back plastic cover and unplug battery from mainboard. Then after 10 sec place it back and put on charger.

All Replies
  • stayfocus18

I purchased this from amazon and it came fully charged. I used it for roughly 3 days and I let it die last night watching a video. I left it charging 3 hrs today with the device off and when I powered it on the batter only says 2% charged. I am using the provided charger that came with the device and the light is on when it is charging. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> Dell !?!!!????

Hey StayFocus18,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues charging your new Venue 8 Pro.  The first thing I would recommend is checking your connections and verify you have a good power source.  Next, turning the device on and trying the charging again while on or in standby. If you are still have troubles, reach out to our Dellcares team.  They can help you troubleshoot your issue to it's root cause and suggest a fix.

Social Support Team Contact:-
    Twitter - @DellCares (
    http://dell.to/14T7mnW

They can help!

• StayFocus18,

Also, if you're not using the included wall outlet adapter that came with the Venue 8 Pro, I would recommend giving that a try too.  One thing I noticed is not all of the little 110v-to-USB blocks are rated the same.  

This bit me over the weekend when I was on vacation and didn't bother to grab anything other than the tablet itself to throw in my backpack since I already had various cables and outlet adapters in there from other devices.  When I plugged the Venue 8 Pro into the wall via the cable+plug that came with my beats audio speaker, the result was nothing (as if there was no cable even connected to the tablet).  Fortunately I had my wife's Surface Pro on me, and using the same cable but with the built-in USB charging port on the Surface's power brick worked perfectly!  

Cheers

• The iphones and the tablets need more amperage than most cell phone usb adapters will provide...something like 2A instead of the typical 500 milliamps (0.5 Amps) to 1 amp (shows 1A or 1.0 A on the charger) of most stock cell chargers and DC adapters. 

If you take the adapter for the tablet, you can use it with everything else because current (amperage) is "Draw" and the device will only suck what it needs to charge itself.  I.e. you can put a 2A capable charger on a 1A device as long as the voltage is the same, all USB input is 5 volts so any device that takes USB, even if it uses the bigger mini instead of micro plugs can work with your tablet charger and the way the chargers are made these days makes it really easy to swap out cables with the correct sized plug.  Heck if you've got an old psp you can charge it off your tablet charger too if you've got a mini usb or one of their regular DC round plug cables that plugs into usb.

If you buy a spare charger for your devices whether it's AC or DC just check the specs to be sure it can provide 2A or more current and you'll be fine.  I've also found that sometimes cheapie thin USB cables can cause a problem the one that comes with the venue is pretty beefy from the looks of it compared to some of my other cables.

• Indeed.  However, it's more than just the current rating on the charger that seems to matter.  For example, the usb charging adapter from my iPad doesn't work to charge the Venue 8 Pro. 

So, for anyone having trouble charging their Venue 8 Pro, definitely try using the included wall adapter before concluding that the tablet is defective and won't charge.  :)

- DPR

• I was interested in purchasing a Dell Venue 8 Pro.  I came across a blog post today by Admin Finn that changed my mind.  He reviews a Venue 8 Pro and had the same problem with it not charging.  You can read the full blog at http://www.aidanfinn.com/.

• It does not appear any of the respondents read your post thoroughly. Just has you, I have experienced the same issues. I ran around to different outlets at work and at home. I tried recharging the unit for several hours with the charger that was packaged with the tablet. I even tried several different chargers, thinking the packaged charger included with the unit was faulty. Sometimes, the white light would brighten; other times, there was no response.

Currently, I have had my second new Dell Venue 8 for one day. Due to high demand, I waited two weeks for another unit to be available in inventory. In less than 24 hours, the machine has died, and although I can sometimes get a white light, the until will no longer power on. I am very disappointed in this machine. Dell, recall all of these and go back to the drawing board!

• This is kind of disappointing. Dell needs to look into this.

#1 The tablet should power up when plugged into ANY usb power source!!!  What happens when the battery dies on these? Does the tablet then need to be thrown in the trash?

I've been happily charging my tablet use a 1AMP USB charger for the past month or so. I'd plug it in at night, the white light would glow, and it would charge. This weekend it stopped working. WHY?! No there's nothing wrong with the charger or the cable.Did Dell make a hardware / software update that caused this? Or is this tablet just being flakey? This has been working fine for over a month and to just suddenly stop working like this? Something is off.

I then plugged it into the provided 2A USB charger and thankfully the charge light started glowing and it came back to life.

• Update - the tablet is now charging from low power USB port. Maybe when it goes under a certain charge threshold it will not charge from a lower powered USB port??

• Use the provided USB charger. Needs to be 2AMP or higher powered.

• captaingeek

This is kind of disappointing. Dell needs to look into this.

#1 The tablet should power up when plugged into ANY usb power source!!!  What happens when the battery dies on these? Does the tablet then need to be thrown in the trash?

I've been happily charging my tablet use a 1AMP USB charger for the past month or so. I'd plug it in at night, the white light would glow, and it would charge. This weekend it stopped working. WHY?! No there's nothing wrong with the charger or the cable.Did Dell make a hardware / software update that caused this? Or is this tablet just being flakey? This has been working fine for over a month and to just suddenly stop working like this? Something is off.

I then plugged it into the provided 2A USB charger and thankfully the charge light started glowing and it came back to life.

Hello CaptainGeek,

Thanks for your perserverance. Your Dell Venue Pro is designed to charge from the included port plug.  We have not volidated other plugs for this purpose at this time. 

Thanks for sharing with the community!

-Don D

• I decided that it must be my fault that two of the same machines lost power. Except, I realized that someone who also purchased the item from the same place made the same complaint. I waited 24 hours to charge the tablet. When I plugged it in, the light appeared, and it was white. I was ecstatic. Several hours later, I saw the light turn off. So, I unplugged and attempted to use. The tablet appeared to start, and the Dell logo appeared on the screen. Then, the lit screen lost all graphics and sat with nothing. So, I attempted to turn the unit off. The power button did not respond. I tried the windows button, with the same response. I let it die after a few hours. I waited about five hours. Then, I charged the unit again. The same thing... The Dell logo appeared and circular dots moved beneath the logo. Then, the lit screen sits.

So, I plugged the unit into my Dell tower with the cable that came with the unit. The computer does not recognize the tablet at all. So, I searched through the help screen. I give up! I'm returning and not requesting a new machine.

• I have the same problem with my new Venue 8.Charged  2 times and it won't charge anymore,using original charger and cable.

Is this a battery or charger issue?The screen goes brighter when charging cable is plugged in and the battery icon indicates charging for a few seconds and then stops.When I click on the battery it says charging but the percentage won't change after many hours.

Any suggestions?

• It seems to burn electricity at the same rate as it charges. So I have noticed the percentage won't change for me unless I put it to sleep and let it charge.

• For what it's worth, I think the Venue 8 Pro needs higher amps than 2.1. I tried a external battery pack and an iPad charger, both output 2.1 amps and the Dell does not accept it, only the factory one. I believe the Dell charger is a USB 3 rated charger which packs a higher amp rating and is not very common to find right now. Very disappointing for travel and considering my Dell Latitude 10 can trickle charge from standard USB in a pinch and this cannot.

• Hello,

I've purchased mine a day ago and solved the conundrum. As far as it causes so much headache for multiple people, and not only for Venue owners, I decided to explain the solution in detail here. It will just take 5 minutes of your time :-), and it's by no means related to any problems with hardware, it's a stupid software-related problem, and an easily curable one...

1. Go to Dell Support to get an additional recommended piece of software named "".

Steps:

a) Go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/ShowProductSelector and enter your computer's Service tag or Express Service code to get the list of driver/firmware upgrades and optional software.

b) Look for the Dell Command Power Manager 1.1 application. The 32-bit version link for my Venue 11 Pro (Intel Atom) is as follows: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11-pro?driverId=15FFG&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3322682326&languageCode=en&categoryId=UT

c) Download and install the software. It actually complements the Power Control Panel App, providing more control for the tablet's/notebook's charging/usage mode.

2. Start Dell Command Power Manager. It can be done either by typing its name (Dell Power Manager) in the Windows 8 search box OR by opening the Control Panel (in Desktop mode) and then the Power Control Panel. The link to the app will be at the very bottom of the option list on the left. The app's icon looks like a plug.

(!!!) Please be patient - the app is very slow to load!

3. (!!!) It is very important to change ANYTHING in the app, this is the clue for initializing normal charging, however stupid this might sound.

a) Click the Change Setting button on the very first screen/tab displayed.

b) Choose any other charging mode, say Standard, and click SAVE. You can return to the default Adaptive mode later. It is just important to activate the app and its control over battery charging. Close the app, or leave it open, because it will be displaying the details related to the battery status, including charging.

Voila! You can now unplug the power adapter at any moment, plug it back, and in 5-10 seconds the computer will start charging (until the battery is full)! Be patient! Charging only starts with a certain delay (5-10 seconds as I mentioned) after the cable is plugged into the computer.

I can't figure why dell did not pre-install this app and activate control over charging, but it looks like prior to the app installation and activation some stupid software switch is simply not activated, which prevents the computer from charging...