Forums

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

Subpar stylus technology on the Dell Venue Pro 8

This question is not answered

Hi, I'm curious to how you guys respond to the criticism of the stylus/clearpad technology on the dell venue pro 8, which is raised in this thread starting on page 32 http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-32.html. Are there any ways to fine tune the pen input in regards to hover distance etc? How much of the pen technology is software vs hardware dependent, will we get driver updates/software releases that enable better inking?

It would be great if we could get some information from a dell representative. As it is now, the clearpad stylus input seems to be among the worst active stylus options on the market, far behind wacom and also ntrig.

All Replies
  • would also like yo hear an official response to this problem. Are Dell aware of the amount of dissatisfied customers? Were they aware of the problem before releasing the product? And do they have a fix on the way?

• Has anybody contacted technical support?

• I have sent an email asking if they know what is going on, or if I should cancel my order. I am hoping to hear back from them on Monday.

• As bad as the ClearPad technology seems to be, the Amtel digitizer used on the HP Revolve is even worse. At least with the ClearPad, it seems like it could work decently if the drivers get better. I've posted the following as a review for the Active Stylus and it'll be interesting to see if it gets posted: -------------------------- Using the Active Stylus with a Venue 8 Pro is a disappointing experience overall. The handwriting experience, however, is terrible. The stylus doesn't seem to know when it's actually touching the screen surface and when it isn't. This results in little trails before and after letters that confuses the usually fantastic handwriting recognition in Windows most of the time. When handwriting, the default width of the strokes are one pixel and tracking is choppy. There also doesn't seem to be any tool/control panel/app to configure anything with the stylus. These issues may be resolved in the future by updated drivers and configuration tools, but the current experience is a big let down for such a promising tablet/stylus combo. --------------------------
  • As has been stated, we cant expect a full Wacom experience, but the continued inking alphanumerics once we've stopped writing one of them is a huge issue. For example, in writing the word Dell, our hands NATURALLY transition from the bottom left corner of the D to the beginning next letter, which is usually the line in the "e." Well, once the stylus is lifted from the D, it continues to ink in the direction of the e, then it continues to ink from the bottom of the e to the top of the l,...the same for the next l, and we're done if we only have to write one word. Well as you might guess all of the lifting stray ink errors make for an ok drawing experience but an absolutely horrible note-taking experience. Get rid of the trails and stray marks where the pen can stop communicating with the digitizer panel once it's lifted every time and....again...it wont be Wacom,...but I'd certainly be happy with it because the placement of the pen to where it begins to write is pretty darn accurate. At this point,....all that we need to know is, is this fixable, or is this inherent? Great device but I'll send it back and either wait or look elsewhere if it's not fixable.
  • After playing with it a little more, I'm fairly convinced that the problems people are having with quick note-taking are largely hardware issues that will not be fixed anytime soon by software fixes. That's the bad,...the good is a fix would seem to not take much effort if the screen doesn't scratch too easy. As it turns out -- from my estimation at least -- the stray marks in OneNote as well as other possible issues with legible note-taking do not really stem from continuation of inking when the stylus is no longer in contact with the screen. Rather, the problem seems to pretty much be due to a lack of friction between the 2 surfaces (the tip and the glossy screen). It's the same issue we can experience writing with a smooth pen on, say, construction paper vs. regular paper vs. glossy, smooth-coated paper. Given a pen that presents little resistance (friction), the smoother the paper is, the more we begin to get those little hooks and continued writing or slippery beginnings of letters as we write. In short, I believe that a little more friction on this easily-removable tip can improve the writing if whatever it is replaced with (or whatever covers it) is uniform and smooth enough to not scratch the screen. Sure, software could be "smarter" to improve this issue, but I'd believe it to be too far away. How would the software fix differentiate between me coloring in a shape, where we all use a back and forth marking pattern to fill shapes in, and these stray marks? You would probably have to separate a "handwriting mode" from regular usage and it might make things even more complicated. So step one in OneNote is to pinch zoom completely in and that improves the results you'll see from writing. Beyond that, the easy fix for many issues here, if any, seems like the tip of this poorly designed pen. As long as the contact is so slippery, it won't improve. JMO. Kind of abnormal to know that the engineers who helped designed this stuff didn't know well enough that they had to overcome Newton's 3rd law of motion. Any ideas of what to cover it with while I'm in the trial stage for 1 more week?
  • You could just put a piece of paper on the screen and write blindly to test it out.

What I would like to know is if any representatives from Dell are paying attention to this matter. I would love to see some sort of acknowledgement on this board. That would definately make me feel better about not cancelling my order, as I am on the border right now.

• Some one just posted on the tabletpcreview.com forums just replied to a similar thread sating that a firmware update is in the works to be released next week. His user name is runnershigh, which doesn't sound official, but it is the first bit of positive news we have gotten. Who knows, it may be fixed before I get my tablets.

• http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-115.html

I would love to know if this is legit.

• Does any one at dell read these forums?

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9V_innards_AAAA_removal-1.jpg

• Did you get an answer?

• I'm struggling with my stylus as well.  And the lack of clear documentation has me wondering -- what exactly is the purpose of the button on the stylus?  Instructions imply that you have to click it on prior to starting.  But I sure can't establish where the "on" and "off" positions are.  Or does the button engage a "right click" effect?  If it's there as a power control, I'm likely draining the battery not knowing how to shut it off.  And its elastic holder on the Dell case is a tough fit for the stylus.  Any position on that button will be altered the second you attempt to shove the pen through the opening.

Thanks for any clarification.

• cheflo

Hi, I'm curious to how you guys respond to the criticism of the stylus/clearpad technology on the dell venue pro 8, which is raised in this thread starting on page 32 http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-32.html. Are there any ways to fine tune the pen input in regards to hover distance etc? How much of the pen technology is software vs hardware dependent, will we get driver updates/software releases that enable better inking?

It would be great if we could get some information from a dell representative. As it is now, the clearpad stylus input seems to be among the worst active stylus options on the market, far behind wacom and also ntrig.

Hello Cheflo,

The Dell engineering team  is aware of the complaints reported and is currently working  with our vendors to examine what changes we can make.  

Thank you for your comment,

• trebl1

Hello Trebl1,

I do not know exactly what legitimacy you are looking for with the link to Tablet PC Review Forums. But, this board is a very active community discussing the new Venue 8 Pro tablet. It is a great site, independant of the manufacturer, for owners to discuss their Venue 8 Pros.  Tablet PC Review is not associated with Dell.

Hope that helps!