Latitude 10-STS tablet problems.

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

Latitude 10-STS tablet problems.

This question is not answered

I just received my Dell Latitude 10-STS tablet today.  What a  <deleted profanity>. I am disgusted with the lack of documentation online.  There were no documents included with my tablet, not even a brief setup guide or feature list; only the warranty.  To start, I turned on the tablet, would not power up. The bottom of the tablet was slightly pulled apart.  I snapped it together, then it powered up.  Charged up the battery than began Windows 8 setup.  Only choice was to setup up a Microsoft password or a local password for login.  Chose local password than began the Windows8 setup.  When I got to stylus setup, the digitizer would not work.   According to the online Owner's Manual, I had to go to the desktop, then Device Manager to verify if the Wacom Digitizer driver was installed; it wasn't.  So, I tried to download and install it, but Windows UPDate insisted on running.  Fast forward 1 plus hours, updates complete, reboot.  Now, the screen rotation does not work.  Research for another hour, find answer under dell xps tablet manual.  Need to just reboot tablet and it should work.  Reboot tablet, screen rotation works but my Windows 8 Loging password does not.  I try for over 2 hours to solve, find info online to access the bios.  Tried to reset password there, did not work.  Tried to use Dell chat, after 1 hour, no one responded.  (I was #2 in the Que!)  So, called tech support, 1/2 hour later told entire process to tech who said Dell does not handle Windows 8 problems like a password reset.  Gave me toll free number to Microsoft.  Could not tell me why I was having the pen/screen issues but did acknowledge that they exist.  I told him that If Dell could not help me I would return the tablet which I still have not been able to use.  Can anyone help me with this issue?  I am totally through with Dell.  But I like the feature set of this tablet.  Frustrated in CT, from Peter.

All Replies
  • Update:  After searching YouTube I found a video describing this very problem.  I hooked up a USB keyboard to my tablet and was able to do a Windows 8 reset.  It worked.  (A mouse will work too.) I reset the OS to the factory default settings.  (I had not installed any of my files or programs yet, so nothing was lost.) 1 hour later it was done.  So, I started once again to setup my Windows 8 tablet.  I did find a work around on YouTube and did not use any Password for the login.  Next, I had to Calibrate the stylus.  I checked Device Manager and behold, there were new devices listed under Human Interface Devices.  These included the Wacom Digitizer drivers!!  I think that this refurbished tablet did not get an OS reset.  Now, I was able to calibrate the stylus.  But I must say, the stylus is not ready for prime time yet!  Sometimes it just does not work.  I have no problem with touch at all.   This morning, I downloaded all Windows 8 updates, 1 1/2 hours later, reboot and yes the tablet is working fine.  Not sure if I will keep the tablet though.  I like the Windows 8 desktop, hate the Metro.  If any other problems arise, I will post them.  Feeling a little less frustrated in CT.

• Update #2: After one week of use, the included stylus pen still does not work all the time.  I think it is the digitizer.  

I have loaded other programs on the desktop. But, the pen struggles to work!  Not happy with the pen/digitizer.