Subpar stylus technology on the Dell Venue Pro 8

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

Subpar stylus technology on the Dell Venue Pro 8

This question is not answered

Hi, I'm curious to how you guys respond to the criticism of the stylus/clearpad technology on the dell venue pro 8, which is raised in this thread starting on page 32 http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-32.html. Are there any ways to fine tune the pen input in regards to hover distance etc? How much of the pen technology is software vs hardware dependent, will we get driver updates/software releases that enable better inking?

It would be great if we could get some information from a dell representative. As it is now, the clearpad stylus input seems to be among the worst active stylus options on the market, far behind wacom and also ntrig.

All Replies
  • trebl1

Some one just posted on the tabletpcreview.com forums just replied to a similar thread sating that a firmware update is in the works to be released next week. His user name is runnershigh, which doesn't sound official, but it is the first bit of positive news we have gotten. Who knows, it may be fixed before I get my tablets.

Hello Trebl1,

If Runnershigh was a Dell employee, or able to post on our behalf, he would clearly state it or have it in his tags.  Something as simple as #IWorkAtDell, or the Liason tag like mine.

As for his content, there may be a firmware update soon. But, this may not be the cause for the skipping and trails. The Dell engineering team  is aware of the complaints reported and is currently working  with our vendors to examine what changes we can make.  

I hope to be able to post something soon,

• Studio GP
    As bad as the ClearPad technology seems to be, the Amtel digitizer used on the HP Revolve is even worse. At least with the ClearPad, it seems like it could work decently if the drivers get better. I've posted the following as a review for the Active Stylus and it'll be interesting to see if it gets posted: -------------------------- Using the Active Stylus with a Venue 8 Pro is a disappointing experience overall. The handwriting experience, however, is terrible. The stylus doesn't seem to know when it's actually touching the screen surface and when it isn't. This results in little trails before and after letters that confuses the usually fantastic handwriting recognition in Windows most of the time. When handwriting, the default width of the strokes are one pixel and tracking is choppy. There also doesn't seem to be any tool/control panel/app to configure anything with the stylus. These issues may be resolved in the future by updated drivers and configuration tools, but the current experience is a big let down for such a promising tablet/stylus combo. --------------------------

Hello Studio GP,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Dell Active Stylus. I hope your review gets published as well. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review comments with our engineers. The more input we give them, the more information we can provide the vendor regarding concerns.  

Thank you for your time,

• The individual did start using the #IWork4Dell tag, so many are anxiously awaiting what the update will include. The faulty stylus is definately the biggest complaint that I have been hearing about. But there are also concerns about the in ability to charge while using an OTG USB cable, and the onscreen keyboard not popping up automatically in some applications. So many are quite pleased with the product so far, but if these fixes get implemented, you will have a real knock out product.

• trebl1

The individual did start using the #IWork4Dell tag, so many are anxiously awaiting what the update will include. The faulty stylus is definately the biggest complaint that I have been hearing about. But there are also concerns about the in ability to charge while using an OTG USB cable, and the onscreen keyboard not popping up automatically in some applications. So many are quite pleased with the product so far, but if these fixes get implemented, you will have a real knock out product.

Thanks for the info Trebl1,

I will do my best to keep you in the loop on any updates to these three issues. 

• I believe he is referring to users confirming email responses from Neil Hand of Dell indicating that a firmware/driver fix is in the works for release this week and that he mentioned a Dell representative (believed to be going by the name of "runnershigh") was indeed monitoring the Tablet PC Review forums.

• thanks for the tip om AAAA batteries. the pen is burning through batteries and I'm tied of paying for them. Dell: give us early adopters better drivers!

• My guess is that he's looking for confirmation that the posts from runnershigh (which suggested a patch was coming this week) were authentic.

Many (though certainly not all) of us bought this tablet for combination of form-factor and stylus/inking abilities. What's frustrating is that it is _almost_ a great solution. And based on the awesome testing/proof-of-concept work by forum user 'dprice7', we're all very hopeful that a software fix will correct any and all of the shortcomings. But we're understandably on pins and needles in the meantime....

Here are some relevant links that might help:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-139.html#post350516 - dprice7's proof-of-concept app - setting "shorten stroke" to 30 and "constant pressure" to some small nonzero value gives a very acceptable inking experience in my case

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/members/runnershigh.html - 'runnershigh' account
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge-105.html#post349579 - runnershigh post claiming driver update this week and #Iwork4dell

• @OLYMEGAJUSTIN, great summary. I agree with your entire post. 

The VP8 is just awesome in every way except this inking issue. 

Has anyone else experienced battery drain on their pen battery when storing it in the pen holster of the folio? I think it's just too close to the screen and therefore keeps the pen activated all the time. 

• DELL DON-D

I do not know exactly what legitimacy you are looking for with the link to Tablet PC Review Forums. But, this board is a very active community discussing the new Venue 8 Pro tablet. It is a great site, independant of the manufacturer, for owners to discuss their Venue 8 Pros.  Tablet PC Review is not associated with Dell

Thanks for all of the replies as of late. I think the legitimacy that many were looking for was whether the original report of a fix being in the works was true. When I first posted that, there was no way of knowing if we were receiving information from Dell. I think see you and your team actively participating in these forums does go a long way into helping us trust that improvements are coming. Thank you.

• Any news on the stylus issue? Is it hardware? Is it the digitizer on the tablet? Is it just a driver? Would like to know either way...hate to see a recall.

I chatted with support and they were surprised I was having an issue...I guess they don't follow the support forums. They told me to call support to get it exchanged. :-( Trying to hold out for the update...

Oh and it's been only a week since I got my stylus and with minimal use since it sucks to bad the battery is already dead.

• i have the same issue with my pen, batteries died out in 3 days..i using the original dell case for the tablet and the stylus place at the pen holder, and batteries died after 3 days.

• Can anyone tell me, does this stylus issue have a pronounced effect on using the stylus as a pointing device, or it mostly a handwriting problem? 

From what I'm seeing, the active stylus option looks like it was more wishful thinking or marketing fake-out than a viable technology.  How do you use a stylus that doesn't now if it's touching the screen or not?  Is there no tip button?

I've got a Venue 11 Pro on order.  Stylus input for precise input into small check boxes and clicking small buttons within certain apps is my primary concern.  Finger touch on a small screen is not accurate enough. 

I don't really care if I can use handwriting recognition, but if I can't click on a fairly precise point on the screen, that's a deal breaker for me.  I might as well cancel the order as wait and send it back.

• Accuracy with respect to the stylus tip hitting the screen is pretty good. However, it's oversensitive in that it's jittery and sometimes while hovering and will click buttons/select before hitting the screen...really annoying. So it's not even good for basic pointing.

There are issues using a capacitive stylus as well. It doesn't pick it up well and when drawing a line it some times becomes a dotted line.

I also noticed that the touch screen is super sensitive...when typing, it will register multiple clicks on letters. Sometimes my text will loookk likke tthhis. Also, when swiping through apps it will click them rather than swipe. Beginning to think this is could be the digitizer screen issue as well.

• Just found an "urgent" update on the Venue 8 Pro Drivers page...Panel Touch Firmware on Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830. Going to see if this is the fix everyone has been waiting for!                                               

• Wow...Just installed the firmware update!  I must say that so far in One Note there is a HUGE difference in inking behavior.  I am getting much less curly lines and pressure effects inking prominently.  I can actually read my penned notes now...  Good job Dell!  I am impressed.  I just fell in love with my Venue 8 Pro for a second time.  Keep the updates coming!