No Multi-user profile on Venue 8???

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

No Multi-user profile on Venue 8???

This question is not answered

I just received my Venue 8 tablet.  It comes with Android 4.2.2 but does not have the multi-user option.  I've seen other tablets allow this.  Anyone know how I can get this feature to work?

All Replies
  • Terry I have software version 1.32 and jellybean 4.2.2 tablet says it is up to date whenever I check for updates, but I know that it should have updated out of the box. This is a replacement tablet for one with a bad battery and the last one updated to version 1.39 right out of the box.

• Screenshot of about tablet with software version and jellybean version.

• Both tablets I bought for my daughters have the identical spec's as luvmysonata's above. ^^  When can we expect the update to hit our devices?  I'm afraid to turn my girls loose without any controls in place.

• Hello, We just bought a dell venue 8 for our parents.  There is no multi user support, and it says there is no update available.  it is running 4.2.2.   I am reading that there are other people that have gotten the update, but we have not.  I just wanted to know for sure what is going on with this, otherwise I will be returning it for a nexus 7, as the main reason we got this tablet was so that they could both use it.  I assumed that because it was running jelly bean, it would have it built in.  I called dell customer suipport, and they don't know anything.  They are not even familiar with the feature, and are telling me that I am outside of the return policy, even though christmas was yesterday. Any help would be awesome, so far everyone involved has been pretty dissappointed with our Dell experience.

• multiuser is an important feature for sure and when dell releases the fixed 4.3 update, it will work, but the most important thing you should be asking is what are they using the tablet for that requires separate accounts?

heres some questions:

if they need separate web browing searches and stuff, download 2 browsers, chrome and maybe stock or opera or firefox. done.

personal files and images can be organized with many free encrypted password protected file managers from google play-store in case they have that issue.

they both have 2 gmail accounts? 2 hotmail accounts? 2 bank accounts with same bank? with different banks......

the web browser solves each problem. except the gmail solution, you can have more than 1 native gmail account on our device, just click settings within gmail and switch to whichever account if thats  not private enough the web browser solutions still works.

lets see what possibly else you would need multi accounts for, .....gaming???music????...hmmmmm there are apps for those....

think about it.......Smile

• i have the same situation with my daughters, but  there is one fundamental and easy trick you can do until we do get the multiuser option, you can go in settings, then apps, and disable and force stop any app that you dont want them to use or access, (gmail,playstore,email app,facebook,twitter) any app  but if their old enough and savvy enough they can find those settings and re enable them, likewise with multiuser they can also probably guess your password if their savvy enough.

• Chairzz, your suggestion takes an awfully simple minded approach to understanding the needs of multiuser. Everything in Android is tied to a Google account. Remember how you had to log in to a Google account to start using your tablet? I don't want to share my Google account info with multiple people. Downloading a different browser? Not even close to being a viable option, not in the least.

• DELL-Terry B

What version of Jelly Bean do you all have that aren't getting any further updates and still don't have multiple user support?

TB

Terry,

Do you have any further info for those of us who haven't rec'd the 4.3 update?  See the screen shot a few posts earlier for pertinent software info.

Thanks for sticking with us!
    Rob

• personally one of the reasons why I want multi user support is so that I can quickly and easily hand my device to my family members or two friends without the worry of having to prepare it for them. I don't want my friends having access to my facebook or my email for example. With multi user id simply set up a guest account and let the have whatever they want on that

I am frustrated because I own a Google Nexus and the screen broke. The cost of replacing the screen was just slightly more than the cost of buying the Dell Venue 7. I originally bought a Kobo arc 7 and discovered that it only had version 4.1 .1 and no multi user support so I did some research and discovered the Dell and decided to return the Kobo and pick up the Dell. In the end I saved $10 but did not get the feature that I actually really wanted..

• jtmmtj

Chairzz, your suggestion takes an awfully simple minded approach to understanding the needs of multiuser. Everything in Android is tied to a Google account. Remember how you had to log in to a Google account to start using your tablet? I don't want to share my Google account info with multiple people. Downloading a different browser? Not even close to being a viable option, not in the least.

it isnt simple minded to look at it his way  but all i was saying is until we get the official feature to do this, this is simply a temp solution. use it or not, up to you till then really just replace or just wait.

• My need for multi-user support is because I want to create Restricted (ie. Standard User) accounts so that when I lock or disable certain features, they won't be able to turn them back on.  If possible, I want to use my gmail acct as the only google acct on the device and then grant their user account access to only the apps that I allow.  Each child has their own device, so it's not a matter of keeping them out of each others data, it's a matter of not providing administrator level privileges.

• I hope our buddy Terry is able to get an answer from the technicians for us on Monday.

• I have just recently spoke to one of my contacts in engineering and he tells me that 4.3 Jelly Bean should be made available to all Venue 8 users as of today.  Please try updating your tablets. Please post here if you continue to have problems.

Happy New Years

TB

• Terry,

That's excellent news.  I'll check it out when I go home for lunch today, that is if I can pry one from one of my daughter's hands.  They absolutely love these things!!! :D  So far I'm super happy I bought these tablets for them.

Thanks,
    Rob

• Just tried and still showing that my Venue is up to date.  It is still running 4.2.2 software version 1.32 it has never updated.  I turned the tablet off plugged it in and tried.  The only thing that changes is the time it checked for updates.  My venue has never updated, ever.  This is a replacement for one with a subpar battery and the first one did at least update right out of the box to software version 1.39.  Maybe the update will be out later since it is still early afternoon on the east coast.  Hopefully we will all get it.