XPS 10 - Just received, won't turn on

Mobile Devices

Mobile Devices
Mobile devices Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 10 - Just received, won't turn on

This question is answered

Hello,

I just received an XPS 10 Tablet today.  I charged the unit for 4 hours as listed in the manual.  After the 4 hours elapsed I attempted to start the unit but it would not start up.  The only reaction to pressing (and holding) the power button was the LED flashing 3 times.

My guess is that there is an issue with the battery and the LED flash is telling me the unit is not charged.

Anyone have the same issue?

Verified Answer
  • Got this the other day from support out of Texas...and it worked!!

.  An issue has been identified with this model where if the battery drains to low it will appear dead and not power on.

1. Unplug the 40-pin connector from the tablet. If docked, unplug the tablet from the dock.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds (this performs a hard power off on the device in the event that it is locked or hung)
    3. Plug the 40-pin connector back into the device. Let the unit charge for at least one hour (60 minutes) before pressing the power button. Pressing the power button before the unit is adequately charged will hang the device and prevent further charging.
    4. After waiting for at least one hour, press the power button for 3-4 seconds to turn on the device.
    5. If this resolves the issue, the battery was dead and the unit went into a hung state. A software update to permanently resolve this issue will be pushed via the Windows Update on ~Feb 12, 2013. 
  • Please let me know if the fix doesn't work.    Note that you must follow the steps exactly.  

The SW update that should permanently resolve this issue is expected to push over the air tomorrow.

All Replies
  • Yes.

• I had this issue when my wife let her tablet completely die.

• Oddly enough while trying what you suggested I was in a room with full light, and noticed that the unit is actually on.  There's just no backlight.  I had to use a flashlight to make anything even remotely visible on the screen.

• Got this the other day from support out of Texas...and it worked!!

.  An issue has been identified with this model where if the battery drains to low it will appear dead and not power on.

1. Unplug the 40-pin connector from the tablet. If docked, unplug the tablet from the dock.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds (this performs a hard power off on the device in the event that it is locked or hung)
    3. Plug the 40-pin connector back into the device. Let the unit charge for at least one hour (60 minutes) before pressing the power button. Pressing the power button before the unit is adequately charged will hang the device and prevent further charging.
    4. After waiting for at least one hour, press the power button for 3-4 seconds to turn on the device.
    5. If this resolves the issue, the battery was dead and the unit went into a hung state. A software update to permanently resolve this issue will be pushed via the Windows Update on ~Feb 12, 2013. 
  • If the battery drops below 2%, you can run into issues where the device requires the procedure above to power back on.   This will be resolved via an over the air (automatic) update on 02-12-13.    It is critical that you follow the steps exactly - if you press the power button before the unit has charged, it will go back into a hung state.

• I have had the XPS 10 for 6 days. I charged it as recommended for four hours. I have loved it and have had no issues until today. Last night it alerted me that it had 10% charge left. I shut it down and placed it on the adapter overnight. After 12+ hours of charging, it will not turn on. Dell tech support troubleshooting was unsuccessful. I was not instructed to do as the Dell post instructs. So as of now I am waiting for it to charge the hour suggested. 

I'm glad to discover that mine is not an isolated case and Dell has an update to hopefully solve this issue. 

• Please let me know if the fix doesn't work.    Note that you must follow the steps exactly.  

The SW update that should permanently resolve this issue is expected to push over the air tomorrow.

• It totally worked. Thank you so very much. And Thanks to the original poster.

• Thank you.

• Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I just had this happen to me yesterday and I contacted Dell support. They attempted to fix the problem, including the above, but had me wait only 10 mins. When that didn't work, I was told it was probably a connector issue and that I had to send the tablet in for repair ... that it would take several days, blah, blah, blah.

I searched online, came across this post, and Boom, it worked. Thank you!

• I have not received any over-the-air updates to fix this problem. In fact, I did an update yesterday and after it updated, that is when the problem started! Please advise.

• Glad to hear it.    Once you have taken all the available updates, this issue should no longer occur.

• Have you checked for updates?    Swipe in from the right, settings, change PC settings, updates (at the bottom), and hit check for updates.  Install all available and then restart.  Repeat until none available.    Can you confirm that you have done all updates that are available?

• Thanks. Done. One more update was available today, which I just did.

• Just wanted to add my thanks to this.