What does Alt+F5 do?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

What does Alt+F5 do?

• I meant to press Alt+F4 to close a window, but I accidently pressed the F5 key instead. When I press the Alt+F5 key, it makes my screen flicker or go black, but it comes back again. I'm curious as what this key combination does. I thought this would be the best place to post my question since it did something with the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• it could be an alternate mapping of FN+F8. I searched google and microsoft and came up empty on that key combination.
  • I am not sure what Alt+F5 does.  I tried it on a compaq desktop and a Dell laptop.  On the Dell laptop I had the same results as you - the screen flashed.  On the desktop, nothing happened.  Maybe it is a Dell shortcut of some sort to refresh the display, or perhaps it is something built into a video driver?  The Laptop it happened on is running an ATI Radeon M9.  The desktop has integrated Intel Graphics.
  • Alt+F5 make a refresh in the Opera Browers....:P
    Just joking around......
  • No, it switches monitors btwn external and the regular lcd and then using both (you can hit it three times), hence the flicker and black, it was looking for an external monitor.
  • All,

I do not know of any command mapped to Alt+F5.  Fn+F8 is the key combination to switch from LCD to external monitor.

• You can disable this function in the rigistry,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\{5413DCBE-1BCE-4406-A6AC-D3BF883604D1}\Schemes\Environment\Switchamongstdisplays\Hotkey

Change the REG_DWORD value for the HOTKEY (default 474) to 0

• It's "Switch amongst displays" at ATI Control Panel, Displays Scheme.