Hello, i've been working with this issue for more than a week now. Have tried all the solutions on the net without any success.
Windows 7 home premium x64 is installed on the machine.
When trying to use any application using camera shows up a message, that webcam is used by another application. This pops up on Skype and Dell Webcamcentral. Ms Silverlight shows black screen, no message. The device is present under imaging devices in device manager. The driver installed is Microsoft 6/21/2006 ver. 6.1.7601.18208, status "device is working properly". Driver files: ksthunk.sys, usbvideo.sys and ctclsflt.sys after installing webcam central.
Here is what i tried:
1. Installing drivers from Dell.com in the correct order
2. Uninstalling webcam driver and letting windows install the driver from windows update.
3. Uninstalling windows driver and installing Quanta webcam driver before restart. Note, that in all 3 steps quanta driver never showed up in driver details in device manager.
4. Uninstalled skype.
4.Uninstalled all "usb root" in device manager, restarted, windows installed it's drivers, installed Dell_SX2210-Monitor_Webcam SW RC1.1_ R230103.
5. Uninstalled Webcamcentral, downloaded and installed ver 6.1 Skype.
6. Started windows in a clean boot state.
7. Installed process observer. Webcam is used only by skype, but skype gives "camera used by another app" error message.
8. Turned off laptop, removed ac power and battery, pressed power on button for 30 secs.
9. Tried to update driver through device manager - driver is up to date.
10. Reinstalled windows and installed chipset drivers + wireless drivers and let the windows update. Then installed all Dells drivers in the correct order.
11. Restored to the point before windows update and installed Dell drivers in the correct order.
12. Restored to the point after windows update again. Installed ms Silverlight, camera shows black screen. Room is light, tried a sheet of white paper close to the camera.
13. Tried different skype versions again, uninstalled skype.
14. Process observer shows that nothing uses webcam. Supportassist shows failure in webcam at all checkup stages. Supportassist suggests to turn of programs that might be using camera.
15. Tried all the steps before windows reinstall.
16. I gave up and ask for your help.
Here is Supportassist diagnostics log:
Product Version: 1.0.6584.81
Make a system restore point.
Start, control panel, device manager, Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign. Go to each USB Root Hub. right click on it, left click uninstall.
Restart your computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will reinstall everything. Please be patient, it could take up to 2 minutes.
Try the webcam and see if it works.
If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam
What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?
Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks
Welcome to Dell Community!
#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015
thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work either. Webcam is still "being used by another application".
This can be malware, driver issue or Skype update. Which version of Skype is running?
Version 7 is the current version.
Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here I do not work for Dell. I too am a user. The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderatingContact USA Technical Support
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro
Thank you for your answer.
This is not a malware issue in my case, since i scans for malware have been done with AVG and Malwarebytes. To top it all, windows have been reinstalled.
Pc is running the latest 7.3 version of skype. Checked also versions 6.1, 6.3 and 6.6.
Might be a driver issue, yes, but i followed all available solutions and FAQs. The only thing that bugs me is that i am still seeing Microsoft driver version 6.1.7601.18208 and not Quanta in device manager. I can see though that Quanta 05/14/2010 1.0.1404.1005 is installed in Programs and features.
I am facing the same issue as what you described. And reinstalled all the drivers but still has the same issue. I cannot understand what went wrong.
I had faced a situation where the webcam was not working due to some issue with the webcam central software, however I had reinstalled it and it worked well.
If I come across any solution then I will surely give a reply.
I tried to follow your instructions and suggestions. Updated the Skype to version 7. However the webcam is not operating in neither of the programs such as Gmail, Facebook Messenger and the Latest Webcam Software.
I tried to install the drivers (Quanta) as well as the same which come with the Dell Web Cam Central software. I am unable to resolve it.
Will a factory reset resolve this issue?
I have couple of screenshot for reference as well.
Hope to get a solution for this.
I have the same problem... formatted computer with a fresh install of windows 7 and still get the error message that webcam is being used by another program... I disassembled laptop and checked connections and everything appears ok. Last step will be to order a new webcam part.
When you recently install/reinstall the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order
Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.
(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.
Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central Version 1.40.05 .