Disable automatic brightness adjustment

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Disable automatic brightness adjustment

This question is not answered

Hello,

I am really really annoyed.

I have a Dell Vostro V131 (Intel HD3000) and everytime my screen shows a dark image, the screen brightness gets darker and darker. When it's bright outside and I turn the brightness to the maximum, I can't see anything in applications like Spotify because it's too dark. When a picture that is white is displayed, the screen slowly gets brighter and brighter to it's maximum, same if I open a dark picture, it slowly get's darker until you barely see anything unless it's very dark your room, even at the highest brightness level.

I tried to enable maximal performance in the Intel Graphics settings, even though that doesn't change anything. At media, there are also some picture optimization controls, which I turned off. 

This doesn't happen to my Lenovo Notebook which has nearly the same specifications

I don't know what to do. This is extremely annoying. I would like to disable that, but I don't know how. I hope that someone can show me how to. 

My Notebook is a Dell Vostro V131 with Windows 8.1, with a i5-2410M CPU and a Intel HD3000 GPU.

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Hi danyasd,

Thanks for the post. There are a couple of features managed in Windows 8.1 that will automatically control your systems LCD brightness. I would first suggest making sure your latest BIOS and drivers are updated with those released on the Dell Drivers & Downloads site: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Unfortunately as no drivers have been written for the Vostro V131 and the 8.1 operating system (only Windows 7/8) I can’t be sure all functionality from the version of Windows the system shipped with will be available in your current installation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/adjust-monitor-brightness-contrast#1TC=windows-7

Windows 8.1 will adjust the brightness of the display based on how much light is reaching the tablet's ambient light sensor. This feature is referred to as 'adaptive brightness' and it can be disabled in Windows. 

To turn adaptive brightness on or off:

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
    2. Under any plan, click Change plan settings.
    3. Click Change advanced power settings.
    4. In the list, expand Display, and then expand Enable adaptive brightness.
    5. To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is running on battery power, click On battery, and then, in the list, click On or Off.
    6. To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is plugged into an outlet, click Plugged in, and then, in the list, click On or Off.
    7. Click Apply. Click OK.

If you are using the Windows Modern User Interface (MUI):

1. Pull the Charms bar from the right and Click Settings.
    2. Click Change PC Settings.
    3. On the PC Settings screen, Click PC and Devices.
    4. Click Power and sleep.
    5. At the top of the screen should be a toggle for Brightness. Slide the toggle to the Off position to disable adaptive brightness.

The Intel Drivers / Control panel should also have a “Power Saving” and brightness field that will allow you to configure automatic screen dimming if these Windows settings have no effect.

Thanks,   

Shawn B

Get Support on Twitter: @DellCaresPro

General guides and information for multiple Dell computers: Me and My Dell

• DELL-Shawn B
    Windows 8.1 will adjust the brightness of the display based on how much light is reaching the tablet's ambient light sensor.

No, this is not a tablet. It's a Vostro V131, and it does not have an ambient light sensor. Because of that, I can't find settings like this. 

I have the latest drivers and BIOS. 

Thank you for your help so far!