Latitude E6420, W7p 64b: Could not install Intel GMA driver! - Video - Laptop - Dell Community

Latitude E6420, W7p 64b: Could not install Intel GMA driver!

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude E6420, W7p 64b: Could not install Intel GMA driver!

This question has been answered by sjanzeir

Hello everyone,

I just reinstalled the 64-bit version (the machine originally shipped with 32-bit; briefly downgraded to XP pro - long story) and went about reinstalling all the drivers. I tried as much as I could to stick to the correct installation sequence as outlined in the Help section, but I couldn't possibly get the Intel GMA graphics driver to install, neither before nor after having installed the Nvidia driver.

I had initially installed the 64-bit system right after I purchased the machine, and I was able to install the driver without any problems back then. Later on, I made a disk image of that installation and did a clean install of XP pro and used that for a few days. This week, I reimaged the machine back to 7 64-bit, but it seemed as though the Intel graphics adapter had disappeared altogether. I even did a clean reinstall of 7 two days ago just for good measure, and the GMA adapter is still nowhere to be found, not even in the Device manager! In the few times I tried to install the driver, I kept getting a message to the effect of "this system does not meet the minimum requirements for installation."

So, unless I really screwed something up that should be so obvious (or unless XP killed something in there,) I'm really out of ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shady

Verified Answer
  • Hello Prateek and everyone,

Problem solved. Here's how.

It turned out that the doubts I had said earlier about this thing having something to do with my previous XP installation were true. I just remembered that someone had told me that XP never supported switchable graphics (see one of my other threads.)

So It occurred to me to get into the BIOS and check around - I went into the Video section and found that the "Enable Optimus" checkbox was unchecked. I figured that BIOS had automatically disabled Optimus when I installed XP. I checked the box and restarted the machine, and voila! I have switchable graphics again! I had the Device Managed automatically update the Intel HD 3000 driver and restarted again, and we're in business!

Thanks for your help.

Shady

All Replies
  • PS: I should mention that as of this writing, I'm still in the process of getting the system up to post-Service Pack 1 status. I'm just mentioning it in case something is missing in Windows that might be preventing the driver from installing.

• Hi,

Thanks for contacting the community.

I would suggest you to install windows updates on your system, once installation completes, restart your machine and try to download the drivers from the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/S0e4De

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Prateek K
    #iworkfordell

• Hello Prateek and everyone,

Problem solved. Here's how.

It turned out that the doubts I had said earlier about this thing having something to do with my previous XP installation were true. I just remembered that someone had told me that XP never supported switchable graphics (see one of my other threads.)

So It occurred to me to get into the BIOS and check around - I went into the Video section and found that the "Enable Optimus" checkbox was unchecked. I figured that BIOS had automatically disabled Optimus when I installed XP. I checked the box and restarted the machine, and voila! I have switchable graphics again! I had the Device Managed automatically update the Intel HD 3000 driver and restarted again, and we're in business!

Thanks for your help.

Shady