Intel HD 4000 not detected in Inspiron 7720

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Intel HD 4000 not detected in Inspiron 7720

This question is answered

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17R Special Edition 7720.

Processor: 3rd Gen Core i7 upto 3.3 GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads (Ivy Bridge) | RAM: DDR3 8GB | Graphics: nVidia GT 650M 2GB GDDR5

Although the laptop is working fine, the Nvidia Control Panel does not have the Optimus enabled. Means even in low-power or battery mode, the 650M is always running. Also, for some applications, such as old games, nVidia processor has rendering issues.

I wanted to use the in-built 3rd Gen Intel HD 4000 Graphics for that. But the problem - It's not detected in my laptop.

The Drivers DVD includes the Intel Graphics Drivers but when installing, it says "This Computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing this software" which means there's no intel graphics in my laptop!!

Even when using utilities such as GPU-Z, only nVidia GPU is shown, no Intel HD is found.

I checked BIOS to see if the integrated graphics has been disabled, but unlike other BIOS, this one didn't even have such option about Integrated Graphics.

I decided to upgrade BIOS and then enable the Intel HD, but that process is too risky i'm afraid.

Please help me enable, detect and install the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics card on my laptop. I know Dell must have disabled it for some reasons, but it's there in my laptop, its faster than previous generation Intel graphics and I DO NEED it.

Verified Answer
  • Hi udaynatt,

It is recommended to update the BIOS. To update the BIOS:

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

1. Click on the link to update the BIOS: http://dell.to/RoMGP8
    2. Click on ‘Download file’ and click on ‘Continue’.
    3. Click on ‘Run’ to update the BIOS.

Check if the Intel video card is getting detected in 'Device Manager' after updating the BIOS:

• Click on 'Start' and right click on 'Computer'.
    • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device manager'.
    • Expand 'Display adapters' and check if Intel video card is listed.

Also, please post a screen shot of the 'Device Manager', if possible.

If the Intel video card is getting detected in 'Device Manager', uninstall both the video drivers from 'Device Manager' and re install them:

• Expand 'Display adapters' and right click on both Intel and nVidia video drivers and click on 'uninstall'. (Check the box to delete the drivers for both)
    • Restart the system and click on the link to install the Intel video driver: http://dell.to/RXwNSs (Below are the steps to install a driver)
    • Once you install the Intel driver, click on the link to install nVidia video driver: http://dell.to/TqI230
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed.

Steps to install a driver:

1. Click on ‘Download File’.
    2. Select ‘Single-file download’ and click on ‘continue’.
    3. Click on ‘Save’ and save the driver on the desktop.
    4. Right click on the driver from the desktop and click on ‘Run as administrator’.
    5. Follow the on screen instructions to install a driver.
    6. Restart the system after installing all the drivers.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 
    http://dell.to/YBlak6

• Hi Uday,

It appears that the file is corrupted. Try this one:1222.APP_Quickset_W7W8_A05_NY82X-Setup_ZPE.zip

Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 

All Replies
  • Hi udaynatt,

It is recommended to update the BIOS. To update the BIOS:

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

1. Click on the link to update the BIOS: http://dell.to/RoMGP8
    2. Click on ‘Download file’ and click on ‘Continue’.
    3. Click on ‘Run’ to update the BIOS.

Check if the Intel video card is getting detected in 'Device Manager' after updating the BIOS:

• Click on 'Start' and right click on 'Computer'.
    • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device manager'.
    • Expand 'Display adapters' and check if Intel video card is listed.

Also, please post a screen shot of the 'Device Manager', if possible.

If the Intel video card is getting detected in 'Device Manager', uninstall both the video drivers from 'Device Manager' and re install them:

• Expand 'Display adapters' and right click on both Intel and nVidia video drivers and click on 'uninstall'. (Check the box to delete the drivers for both)
    • Restart the system and click on the link to install the Intel video driver: http://dell.to/RXwNSs (Below are the steps to install a driver)
    • Once you install the Intel driver, click on the link to install nVidia video driver: http://dell.to/TqI230
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed.

Steps to install a driver:

1. Click on ‘Download File’.
    2. Select ‘Single-file download’ and click on ‘continue’.
    3. Click on ‘Save’ and save the driver on the desktop.
    4. Right click on the driver from the desktop and click on ‘Run as administrator’.
    5. Follow the on screen instructions to install a driver.
    6. Restart the system after installing all the drivers.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell

• Thanks Vikram

I still have few concerns about updating the BIOS.

The BIOS update you gave me is for XPS 15z ultrabook, not for Inspiron 17RSE. There are certain features listed in BIOS of my laptop which are not there in XPS ultrabook. For instance, there is no caching mSATA SSD in XPS model, and hence no Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Furthermore, the XPS uses 2nd Gen Core CPUs with older versions of Intel Turbo Boost overclocking, whereas Inspiron has 3rd Gen APU with better multiplier and Turbo Boost system.

Please let me know that updating BIOS will not affect any settings or features that are already in my system. Also, if there's a way to revert the BIOS back to last state, let me know about it.

My Service Tag number (According to My Dell Support Centre) is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I've also included screenshots of CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Device Manager of my system. Note that there's only nVidia processor shown in GPU's drop-down menu. While on my friend's XPS 15, it shows both Intel and Nvidia GT 540M.

I've downloaded all BIOS and Graphics Drivers. I'll start the update soon as I hear from you again.

Regards

Uday Singh

• Hi Uday,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have checked the links at my end and it shows that it is compatible with 17 R. Let me share the links again:

Link to update the BIOS: http://dell.to/RoMGP8
    Link to install the Intel video driver: http://dell.to/RXwNSs
    Link to install nVidia video driver: http://dell.to/TqI230

Note: Download the BIOS and drivers again from the above link.

Please update the BIOS from the link mentioned in this post and then try to install both the video drivers. Updating the BIOS will not change any features that you already have on your system.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell

• This didn't work. I ran that file (L511ZA11.exe) and it shows this error message:

Platform system ID and platform name check error. Running on an unsupported system.

System BIOS Upgrade Information:

Cannot find any matched product in supporting list!

Current system BIOS Information:

System: Inspiron 7720 (1382)

Revision: A01

Vendor: DELL SYSTEM

After clicking "ok" on that msg, it later shows:

Msg176: Abort: Running on an unsupported system. (FFFFFF91h)

Please give me link of another BIOS, or some other way to circumvent the process of detecting Intel graphics though BIOS

• Oh, i just saw you already posted. I'm downloading the BIOS file from new link now.

Thanks a lot.

• Even after updating the BIOS, Intel Graphics didn't show up in Device manager or anywhere else.

I downloaded and ran the Intel Drivers setup but it shows the same error message:

This Computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing this software

One more thing: after updating BIOS, One more option was added in BIOS Advanced Menu: Integrated NIC - (Enabled/Disabled). It was Enabled by default, and I didn't change it.

What is it for? And why wasn't it there before?

• Hi Uday,

The updated BIOS is a firmware of the motherboard and is designed in such a way to have these options. It is an option to enable or disable the Ethernet card on the system. As far as the issue is concerned, I am still researching on it. Please allow me 24 to 48 business hours.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell

• Sir, there's another problem that occur presumably after i updated the BIOS.

The 3D Vision is not working.

Whenever i go to nvidia control Panel > Stereoscopic 3D, and click on Enable Stereoscopic 3D option, i get following error message:

GeForce 3D Vision Setup Wizard Error

Failed to create D3D Device with mode matching desktop (1920x1080, 0Hz, format: 22))

Do i have to install the older version of BIOS, or is this a DirectX problem? because, there's another game i used to play: Halo Custom Edition Multiplayer on this laptop. But now when i run that game, it gives me error message:

A Problem occured initializing Direct 3D. Hardware acceleration may be disabled. Please run DXDIAG.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling nVidia Drivers, and i've also ran the DXDIAG.exe from command run, and it does not show any errors. DirectX version is 11.

What to do now? And please me more about Direct 3D, how does it work, and what is difference between Direct 3D and DirectX?

• Hi Uday,

Since you are experiencing multiple issues with your system, I will recommend you to reset the system back to its factory settings to eliminate any software conflict:

Note: PC restore will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

To perform PC restore:-

1. Restart PC, keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
    2. Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice).
    3. Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
    4. 'System Recovery Options' prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
    5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
    6. 'Choose a Recovery Tool Window' appears, select 'Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup'.
    7. The Welcome screen will show 2 options; 'Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files' and 'Select other System Backup and more options'. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click 'Next'.
    8. The next window shows these options; 'Backup Files and folders' and 'Restore my computer'. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
    9. Select the 'Factory Image' and click ‘Next’.
    10. The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click 'Next'.
    11. A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved in the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click 'Next'.
    12. PC restore will initiate. Once done, click 'Restart'.
    13. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account.

I am still researching on the original issue; please allow me another  24 to 48 business hours.

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vikram M
    #iworkfordell

• I think you'll find that the 3D version you can't actually enable the Intel graphics card.  I'm having the same problem - and it means that WiDi won't work (though it was advertised as having it).   Hopefully Dell can provide a fix as I really would like to use WiDi occasionally!

• @laridae:

It's not like that. The Dell XPS 17 3D didn't have this issue. It had nVidia GT 555M with 3D enabled, and also it had Intel HD 3000 with Optimus. I want the same thing for my Inspiron 17R 3D.

• Hello Vikram

The 3D problem was solved after I reinstalled nVidia drivers and restarted my PC.

As for Halo Custom Edition, I changed my Virtual Memory settings to custom (1024 MB - 4096 MB), and that issue was solved too.

But what you said about restoring my PC to factory settings is not possible. Because my recovery partition was deleted.

This is a different problem and I dont know if I should be posting it in this thread. Anyway, here goes:

About few two months back, the PC refused to start from HardDrive, with no recovery options. And when i inserted the Windows reinstall DVD, It didn't even show the Hard Drive of my PC. So, I reinstalled the Hard Drive drivers from Seagate website by copying them through a bootable USB. My hard drive was detected again but all the data was lost, including the factory recovery partition.

So i reinstalled everything. Windows, Drivers, Utitilies, Applications from the DVD provided by DELL.

But it has to be noted that the Intel Drivers didn't work even before the reinstall.

One more thing. After the windows and everything was reinstalled back, the Dell Local DataSafe didn't work. I tried even downloading the latest version, but during the install, after the PC restarts, it showed some error message, something like 'unable to create recovery partition' and the installation failed.

Someone told me that in case my recovery partition is lost, Dell could send me a set of 3-4 recovery DVDs that can be used to factory restore my PC.

Is that possible? My laptop is still under warranty and complete cover of 1 year.

Thanks in advance. I have already sent you my service tag number in your inbox. If you need any further details about my system, please tell me.

• Hi Vikram.

Another problem after updating BIOS that i found out just today. The settings button (Dell Quickset) does not work. the light glows upon pressing it but no quickset or windows mobility center opens. I tried opening the quickset from program files manually and it opens, but does not open/close by the quickset hotkey.

the other keys, namely waves maxx audio and the quick launch application keys are working fine.

• Unfortunately it is like that. I got a response from Dell.  If you have the 3D model its not going to work.

Subject:WiDi on Inspiron 17 SE 3d

Hi laridae,

Dell Inspiron 17 SE 3D comes with discrete NVidia video card for 3D feature. To use the WIDI on any system you will need WIDI compatible Intel video card, Intel wireless card and Intel processor, or a system which has NVidia Optimus technology.

Dell Inspiron 17 SE will have WIDI if it’s ordered without 3D. For 3D systems, NVidia Optimus feature is disabled. Hence the Intel Video card is never active. 

• Then why don't they stop selling the adapter with it that needs widi..................

Joe