Latitude D820 LCD display problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude D820 LCD display problem

This question is not answered

I am trying to save my wife's latitude D820. We purchased a new desktop PC for her after problems developed with her D820 LT. I am aware of the recall on the Nvidia video on the D820 however ours was not acting up when the recall was in effect..... bummer. What it is doing is the Dell boot logo flashes on the LCD display for a fraction of a second then the screen goes completely black (no faint images can be seen). I am able to run the LT on an external monitor with no issues. I can do the fn-f8 thingy and when it tries to initiate the LCD display I get the same quick flash (Windows running) then the display goes black. I have installed the latest BIOS as well as the latest video driver from Dell. I have also replaced the screen inverter resulting in no changes. I’m not a total noob when it comes to PC's but I would really appreciate some tips on what to check next. I realize this LT is dated and really is probably not worth fixing but it has become a challenge for me now. Any suggestions or links to any help sites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vince

All Replies
  • First thing to try replacing is the inverter - the power board for the backlight (behind the screen).  If that doesn't fix the problem, then replace the screen.  If that doesn't fix it, it's the mainboard.

If the external display is OK, the video chip is almost certainly fine.

• Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward the board on the back of the display since I have already replaced the inverter. I see complete LCD screens on Ebay for as cheap as $44 but am a little leary of them. You mentioned the mainboard, can the mainboad video be bad and still allow an external monitor to function properly?

Thanks

Vince

• That board is the inverter - if you've already changed that, it may be the bulb (for which  a display replacement is the fix).

Yes, it can be the mainboard - if the circuit that sends power to the inverter fails, the board needs to be replaced.

• Again, thanks for the reply. I can see how the mainboard can be the problem. I think it is time to cut my losses on this LT. Anyone need any D820 parts?

Vince