why does my Dell not have Intel Wireless Display?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

why does my Dell not have Intel Wireless Display?

This question is not answered

I have a Dell Inspirion N5010 with i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics, but I do not have Intel Wireless Display. Everywhere I read says my machine should have this and I would appear to meet the requirements for it, but I've tried downloading the software and it says my platform is not compatible. Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Edition.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work on my laptop, or what software I need to download to make it work.?

are certain Dell's not capable of running this or something?....my laptop is about 18months old.

All Replies
  • I am trying to link to Netgear Push2TV adapter by the way.

• http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• downloaded all the recommended drivers and software, but still comes up platform not compatible. Dell says my laptop should run this, so it's probably some BIOS setting, or some random driver missing, but spent hours on this and just wondering if anyone out there whose had the same issues. I wouldn't bother If I didn't already have the Push2TV, seems a shame to bin this due to some setting on my laptop.

• Did you opt for an Intel wireless card when  you purchased the system, or did you take the default one?  The default is not Intel, and won't work with WiDi.

• I took the deafult one, but when you check on Dell's site with my model number it says it will work. I'm showing my ignorance now, but can you update the wireless card, or am I stuck with what i've got?.

• wiltshire bee,

Run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here. The wireless adapter will be listed there.

You need to meet the requirements of Intel® My WiFi Technology and have the requirements of Intel® Wireless Display to be able to use the Netgear Push2TV

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• wiltshire bee

I have a Dell Inspirion N5010 with i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics, but I do not have Intel Wireless Display. Everywhere I read says my machine should have this and I would appear to meet the requirements for it, but I've tried downloading the software and it says my platform is not compatible. Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Edition.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this to work on my laptop, or what software I need to download to make it work.?

are certain Dell's not capable of running this or something?....my laptop is about 18months old.

The default WiFi for that system is probably a Dell card (Broadcom).

But all is not lost.  If it is not an Intel WiFi card, you can change it out.
    Here are the instructions on how to replace the card.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insN5010/en/sm/minicard.htm#wp1180236

• Yes, that's it (Braodcom) is saw this listed in the Device Manager.

So what you are saying is that I can replace this card with an Intel WiFi Card and thanks for sending the instructions.

So guess then there's no drivers, or software I can download that will make this Broadcom card work ?.

• by the way, thanks to all of you who answered, appreciate your help and advice, this has been driving me insane and atleast see now I may have options. Cheers !!!

• You will have to install the drivers for the Intel WiFi. 

Locate the Drivers and Downloads for your system by Clicking Here.