Dell Latitude D630 internal monitor black screen

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Latitude D630 internal monitor black screen

This question is not answered

I've got a Dell Latitude D630 and I have a problem with my internal monitor .

All is OK with an external monitor but I have a black screen with my internal monitor (when the computer start Bios and windows)

I already reinstall the bios, try to clean the connectique without sucess, reinstall windows and all the dell drivers.

I think this is not a hardware problem with my monitor because sometimes the internal monitor works (just after a bios modification, or after one dell diagnostic) but when I restart my laptop,  I have the same problem.

Any help would be very appreciated.  

All Replies
  • Is there an image on an external monitor?

• yes

• That would point to a bad inverter or backlight as the likely cause.

• thanks, but what do you mean exactly ?

bad inverter ?

• The inverter is the power supply board for the backlight in the screen.  Either it or the bulb itself has failed.

• I think im having the EXACT same issue. My laptop doesnt seem to wanna load up on its OWN screen, it will once in a blue moon. But it WILL load up everytime on an external monitor. I recently replaced the whole screen as i was told it was the Invertor too. But....I still have the same issue of black screen on built in screen 9 times outta 10. Ive been told to hold the D key for 20 seconds while laptop is OFF, while holding press the POWER button, and the screen should change colors...it does. Also told to hold the FN key while Pressing the POWER button....idk why but that seems to work and get it to load up on built in screen, the 1 outta 10 times i try. but other then that itll load EVERYTIME on external monitor. Im currently running Windows 8, idk if that matters or not? So if there is any help or suggestions please let me know.

***im NOT a computer wizz, just an everyday user with some pc background***

• SOLVING THE BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM? (DELL LATITUDE D610)

1. It's not truly a black screen; something like 1% brightness...
    2. So i think it can't be a software issue; no binary on/off thing...
    3. It rather looks like power supply trouble...
    • My CD drive draws 2.8A (okay: just 5V, but still...)
    • I REMOVED MY CD DRIVE, PHYSICALLY; I TOOK THIS PLASTIC THING OUT OF MY COMPUTER... DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT REMOVING ALL POWER SOURCES BEFORE (AC+BATTERY) OR ELSE THERE MIGHT BE PERMANENT HARDWARE DESTRUCTION !!!
    • RESULT: VICTORY? I'm not shure yet, it has been only 24H since; too soon to be shure...

p.s.: please excuse any english mistakes, i'm a francophone from Montreal, writing on this old D610, of course...A+

• No, removing the CD DRIVE did not solve this BLACK SCREEN problem. I'm sorry i posted this preceeding message before waiting to see if that problem was really solved or not. Note that removing the CD DRIVE caused me to open and close the screen; maybe it's just that; i still think the problem is a hardware issue rather than software (It's not truly a black screen; something like 1% brightness...). But now i don't want to suggest doing anything...