Webcam Error: Please Plug in a supported device. (No Supported webcam connected)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Webcam Error: Please Plug in a supported device. (No Supported webcam connected)

This question is answered

Hello, I recently bought a Dell Inspiron N5110. The reason why I'm writing here is that my integraded webcam stopped working.  

It was working perfectly until one day it stopped after a Windows Update was installed. I restore the system to an earlier time and the webcam started to work normally, then Windows automatically installed the updates again and I've gotten the same problem since there, the difference now is that no matter what I do the webcam would not work AND also, there is no Imaging Devices in the Device Manager. 

I've tried downloading the drivers, restoring the system to an earlier time (several times), plug and unplug a USB device and nothing has worked. 

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to reinstall Windows7 because I need to know first if that would definetly solve the problem.

I am not the type of person that would write a post like this, I prefer to read other posts before but I am really desperate, I mean this laptop has only been with me for like 3 months!

I really hope someone can help me. 

Thank you. 

Carla.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Carla,

Can you pinpoint when the Windows Update was installed?

Just Windows Updates or optional updates, too, like drivers, etc?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• The updates were installed on 20/11/2011 and it was both, windows updates and optional updates. I remember when I restore the system, when I get to choose the restore point it said "Integrated Webcam" so I guess that day windows installed some driver for the webcam.

• carlaustabile,

Thank you for providing this information. I usually allow Windows to just update Windows only. I'm wondering if maybe the drivers got installed wrong andf caused the failure.

Thanks again,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Ok so my question is: If I restored the system to an earlier time and deleted that update, the webcam should start working normally, right? Is it possible the problem would solve if I reinstall Windows?

• carlaustabile,

You would think using system restore and going back to when the webcam worked, but it's not always the case.

Windows 7 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers but something is removing them, unknown what. I have heard that reinstalling the operating system has brought the webcam back. It's a drastic measure backing up all files and folders, reinstalling then reinstalling all your programs again.

If the computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support.

If the computer is not under warranty, below are the methods to reinstall the operating system.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

or

Create the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create

Then

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

If doing the installation manually, How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer and please make sure to install the drivers in order.

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

#DellRockStar

• My computer is under warranty. I bought it 3 months ago but I've been told there's no warranty in my country. I live in Venezuela and I got the computer in Canada.

What would the "Restore your computer's software to Factory Settings" part do? Would that delete Windows7 or something like that? or it will just restore the computer settings to how it was the day I received it?

Also, I have Ubuntu 11.04 installed in my computer too. Would the restoring part affect that partition?

• carlaustabile,

Did you fill out the International Ownership Transfer Form

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Hi Rick, sorry I didn't reply before. I didn't even know there was such thing as that form. Thank you so much for your help. I changed the owner and know I'm waiting for the changes to take place. I called Dell Tech Support and my webcam just broke, don't even know how but it happened.

Thanks again!

Carla.