Touchscreen Ghost Clicking (Dell XPS 17) touch screen

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Touchscreen Ghost Clicking (Dell XPS 17) touch screen

This question is answered

Hi all,

I have gone through multiple posts and forums. Have heared different solutions and tried few but there seems to be no improvement for this issue.

As suggested by many, I dont wont to switch off my touchscreen, have paid 200$ for it....

Have reinstalled N-trig drivers, recalibrating my touch screen but no improvement. You people can understand my situation while i am typing this message. It took me 10 min to type in these lines because of click happening on my lower right corner of screen, which is either triggering my desktop button of scrolling the web page down (the scroll bar on right)

Please help. I dont want to return my laptop. This is my first laptop and i waited for almost a year to purchase it.

Many people are having similar issue, wondering why isnt dell alarmed by so many similar posts...

Verified Answer
  • Hi All,

As I told in my previous comment, had done the calibration, reinstallation of drivers and all of stuff.

After having a long discussion with dell customer support they suggested me to restore back to factory setting. (kind of formating the system). But still the problem persisted.

Now 4 days back they changed my laptop screen. And guess what my problem is solved. If yours under warrenty and have tried all the above options then please go for hardware change. (The same was suggested by N-Trig technical support too)

All Replies
  • A lot of people seem to have this same problem, and I read that Dell isn't selling the touch screens with these laptops anymore. My laptop randomly moves the mouse to the bottom right corner of the screen and clicks on either the time to bring up the calendar, or clicks on the show desktop button which minimizes everything. It does it probably 10+ times a day.

• I am using the same laptop, which was shipped on the 14th. I am having the same issue, except mine is clicking on the lower left side of my screen. I can browsing, playing a game, etc and it will just move to the lower left and click once. I guess I am going to have to contact Dell unless you found a fix for the issue??

• Hi all,

Have contacted dell support for same, they just reinstalled n-trig and closed few of start ups but no solution to the problem. Have googled about this and found out that dell support does same for all having same problem but it isn't helping any.... Feeling like being looted!!!

Dell is not even having the courtesy to call back all laptops if they all are defective and they cant solve the problem..... Disappointment...

Am not using this costly feature for over a month now (deactivated) Have written same to N-trig solutions too but they too havent replied yet.... (must be feeling embarrassed)

If any of you have found the solution then please let know.... Thanks...

• Yes I am having the same problem. Unfortunately I have had no luck with trying to fix it. Luckily it is not taking me 10 minutes to type this or I would be crazy.  Wish Dell would address this issue................

• My XPS 17 that i received in December hasnt had any problems like this but i did run both the Windows calibration settings from Tablet PC Settings in Control Panel as well as the calibrate option from the N-Trig Digitizer Control Panel. Have you tried running both?

There also appears to be an updated software package for the L702x available on the N-Trig website. I havent installed them myself but you could try going to www.ntrig.com/Content.aspx and selecting your laptop manafacturer / model and downloading the Dell_XPS_17_L702X_bundle.zip from there.

The Dell Drivers site reports v4.6.2100.4 and N-Trig apparently has v6.31.

XPS17 L702x: Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center | i7-2760QM | 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM | NVIDIA® GT 555M (GF116) 3GB w/ 3D | Crucial M4 128GB | Seagate 750GB 7200RPM | 6230 WIFI+Bluetooth | 17.3" FHD WLED (1920x1080) with 3D | Backlit Keyboard | Blu Ray Burner

• Hi All,

As I told in my previous comment, had done the calibration, reinstallation of drivers and all of stuff.

After having a long discussion with dell customer support they suggested me to restore back to factory setting. (kind of formating the system). But still the problem persisted.

Now 4 days back they changed my laptop screen. And guess what my problem is solved. If yours under warrenty and have tried all the above options then please go for hardware change. (The same was suggested by N-Trig technical support too)

• I had the same problem. Bought mine back in June 2011. It would keep on clicking bottom right corner of the screen. Dell eventually replaced my screen. Though i also had an issue where my laptop would sometimes boot up and everything in Windows looked like it was moving in slow motion.

Just wondering has anybody tried using the pen feature for this laptop?  

The N-Trig DuoSense screen that ships with this laptop can also use a special battery powered pen that allow for very accurate writing and pressure sensitivity. Dell does not seem to sell the pen or advertize it at all. Not sure why because its actually really cool feature.

I was able to test it out by buying Fujitsu stylus for the Q550 Tablet since it uses the same technology. I had to uninstall the drivers and then manually reinstall them through hardware manager to get it working because it seem the setup.exe causes this awesome feature to be disabled.

I started using it to write notes in class. Its almost like im writing with a pen but its a little awkward writing at a slant and not flat on the table.

• i bought the q550 stylus too.

how do you get it to work??

i can't get it to work.

please reply

• OK this is what you have to do.

First make sure you uninstall the dells ntrig drivers through uninstall programs

Next you need to have the setup files for installing the drivers on your computer so download the ntrig driver from dell here: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Run the file to extract the files, if the setup auto runs exit it.

Then go to Device Manager and under Human Interface Devices category you should see a bunch of generic HID device.

Just go through and right click and update driver each of them and select to "browse computer for driver software"

and set the path to the extracted dell ntrig drivers.

The pen should start work immediatley or after restart.

Hope it works!! If you feel up to the challenge should consider downloading the Windows 8 consumer preview that comes out on Feb 29. It should provide a much smoother touch experience.

• Thanks for the quick reply. But when I do that multitouch and scrolling web page doesn't work. When I try yo scroll down the web page with my finger it doesnt work. Can you fix this problem?
  • Try to manually updating everything under Human Interface Device. May have missed a device. I think few may be labelled USB Input Device.

• Thanks i got eveything working.

But the finger touch is abit buggy.

The pen works great however.

Do you have the same problem??

• I am having the same problem!!! I have called customer support and they couldn't figure out what I was talking about. Any Info would be great! sorry this has already been answered, I am just happy i found someone with the same problem lol

• I have just started having this same problem, I even tried Windows 8 to see if that would reset things but made no difference.

I have just realised that if I  tilt the laptop screen too far back, I will get the ghost taps on the screen. but if I tilt it forward again, the ghost clicks stop. As per the verified answer in this thread, I will be calling Dell to get my screen replaced as its almost definitely a hardware issue now that I know it only occurs with the screen tilted back to far.

XPS17 L702x: Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center | i7-2760QM | 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM | NVIDIA® GT 555M (GF116) 3GB w/ 3D | Crucial M4 128GB | Seagate 750GB 7200RPM | 6230 WIFI+Bluetooth | 17.3" FHD WLED (1920x1080) with 3D | Backlit Keyboard | Blu Ray Burner

• An update to my above  post:

I just called Dell support and they have immediately scheduled a technician to come and replace the screen.