Using HDMI with my Dell XPS 15

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Using HDMI with my Dell XPS 15

This question is answered

I recently got a Dell XPS15 and it came with an HDMI port/connection,but I can't figure out how to use it.

I connected my XPS 15 to my tv, rebooted the PC because I read in here that I should do that, but there is no apparent connection to the TV (46 inch 1080p flat screen) but there appears to be no video signal from the laptop to the TV.

I can't find any documentation (Dell or otherwise) that tells me how to use the HDMI connection.  How do you make it happen?

Verified Answer
  • I had no signal to my external monitor when hdmi was plugged in. Very frustrating. Intel control panel didn't find a second display so I finally went in to "device manager" (click windows key, type "device manager" then open device manager. I believe I went to "display adapters" and clicked on the nvidia one, right-clicked and selected "properties" and found that nvidia was disabled (I guess intel took precedence?); enabled nvidia (I think it was under the 'general' tab), and immediately my external monitor came to life! Hope this helps some other people.

All Replies
  • Remember to select the HDMI input on the TV--HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc--check your tv manual. Do Not select PC input. That's only for VGA connection. Look up Connect a TV in Windows Help for more instructions.

• Well, it turns out I had a faulty HDMI cable.  Once I swapped to a new cable, Windows recognized my HDTV as a "projector" and it was as simple as hitting "F1" and choosing to view on a "projector"!  Thanks for the help...

• I´m having the same problem as you, but I know that my cable is working fine, since it connects other laptops (including my old Inspiron 1525). The XPS do recognize the TV, since it appears in the video and sound settings, but the TV doesn´t recognize the XPS, even in the proper HDMI input. Does it have something to do with the hdmi cable, do I need one compatible with the 1.4 hdmi port? This is getting so frustrating! Thanks in advance!

• Similar problems here. Cable works fine with other devices, but  no dice when connected to Dell XPS 15. I have GT540M, not sure if this is part of the problem. Anyway, tried the usual stuff on forums. Turning things on in different orders, trying to detect through NVidea control panel etc. Nothing. This is doing my head in as part of reason for choosing the various options on this laptop was to be able to play blueray to my TV with 3d etc.

Any tips (apart from turning off and on, reinstalling drivers) would be gratefully received.

• Even tho your cable works with other devices, make sure you buy a new cable and try that.  All I know if in my case it ended up just being the cable - my old reply:

Well, it turns out I had a faulty HDMI cable.  Once I swapped to a new cable, Windows recognized my HDTV as a "projector" and it was as simple as hitting "F1" and choosing to view on a "projector"!  Thanks for the help...

• I had a DELL guy today at my house and he replaced the motherboard of my XPS 15. Now the HDMI works! I just plugged on the TV and it was there! So happy!

• Heck yeah!  We use ours like a cable box - set it next to the 46" HDTV and watch Netflix and Hulu.  The picture is amazing.  Glad you got it fixed - now, enjoy!  The XPS15 rocks!

• I had no signal to my external monitor when hdmi was plugged in. Very frustrating. Intel control panel didn't find a second display so I finally went in to "device manager" (click windows key, type "device manager" then open device manager. I believe I went to "display adapters" and clicked on the nvidia one, right-clicked and selected "properties" and found that nvidia was disabled (I guess intel took precedence?); enabled nvidia (I think it was under the 'general' tab), and immediately my external monitor came to life! Hope this helps some other people.

• Excellent advice! I had looked for a fix on this issue for several weeks.  This worked perfectly; thanks!