I've been searching for hours, please can someone help me before I launch my laptop out of the window.
I'm trying to open the integrated webcam on my Inspiron 1545. The webcam works fine with Skype but I just need to open it independently.
I've followed all the instructions I've found on the Dell Support site and dozens of forums, including going to:
The problem is, under All Programs, there is no Dell Webcam or Webcam Central. It just doesn't exist. I've searched for it via the useless Vista search facility but it's not showing up.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I've been to my devices and it's confirmed the drivers are all working ok.
I'm losing my mind here so your help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance...
You may be aware of this article but it has good basic information on troubleshooting webcam issues.
Since the Webcam is working with Skype then it certainly looks like drivers have been installed. Here are instructions on installing Webcam Central from the article.
To download the latest version of Webcam Central for your Dell computer, perform the following steps:
1. Navigate to the Dell Support Website
2. Click My Account in the upper right corner and sign in with your Dell My Account in the popup box provided.
3. Under the My Software section on the right side of the page, click "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)".
4. Click the checkbox that agrees to the Terms and Conditions of the My Dell Downloads website and click Register System at the bottom of the page
5. At the My Download Locker page, click the registered system that corresponds with the computer you are downloading Webcam Central to.
6. Under the Title section, look for Dell Webcam Central. There may be more than one listing for this software title.
7. Select the listing with the latest version number in the Version column. Click the checkbox under the Download column for this software, and at the bottom of the page click Download Now.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
You may have Webcam Central already installed though but it has been corrupted. If this is the case you may wish to look in "add / remove programs" (programs and features in Win 7 and Vista) and see if Webcam Central is listed. You may also wish to look for any software that mentions Creative Labs webcam and uninstall them. Once they have been removed from the system restart the computer and then try installing Webcam Central and see if that helps.
Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices#IWork4Dell