Webcam not working on Studio 1558 - Video - Laptop - Dell Community

Webcam not working on Studio 1558

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Webcam not working on Studio 1558

This question is not answered

As the title says, I just found out that webcam on my laptop isn't working. Webcam central is asking me to plug in a supported device, and on the bottom of the screen it says "No supported webca...".

I uninstalled and re installed Webcam Center, however nothing changed.

I installed service pack 1 for windows 7 a few days back. Could my webcam problem be related to that fact?

Are there any actuall drivers for the webcam? Or do they come bundled with Webcam Center?

All Replies
  • Wally2905,

Try installing Dell Webcam Central and see what happens.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• HI Pudgy.

I tried installing the Webcam Central as you suggested, however no joy. I also tried turning off the laptop and removing the battery for a while but still nothing. The thing that bothers me is that I don't even see a hint of camera in my device manager. I tried uninstalling all USB root hubs, and even all that was left under USB controllers in device manager, but no luck either.

One other thing I noticed is that if I plug in my external wifi card with a large(r) antenna for better reception, it doesn't work...it's like it isn't plugged in at all. I will reinstall windows and start from scratch - and NOT install SP1 this time. Will report back in a few days.

•  Wally2905,

Easiest method is...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

More involved method is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Pay close attention to installing the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015