XPS 1530 Display is split screen (top over bottom) of the same image and distorted.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 1530 Display is split screen (top over bottom) of the same image and distorted.

This question has suggested answer(s)

I get  two images of everything. It's like when you are playing a shooter game in two player mode. There is a line that goes through the center of the screen horizontally. There is some fuzzyness or distortion through out both images. The only resolution option available in the Control Panel Settings. My display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

All Replies
  • The 8400GS has a bad history, and a class action LS is in progress. If you are less than 1 year out of warranty, Dell should provide service. If more than a year, search the web for the LS.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1 Home - 32 bit

• Thanks, KirkD. I Googled around and read a few articles saying pretty much the same thing. I phoned Dell, I still have warranty, and they decided pretty promptly that I will have a tech come by in 48 hours with a new display adapter. 

• You will be getting a whole, new system board. The 1530 does not have a separate video board. Good luck!

One thing to remember. The tech will remove the entire cooling system to replace the system board. He will install the board, add the CPU from the old board, and reattach the heat sinks to the CPU and GPU. Make sure he applies NEW heat transfer compound and/or heat pads to both CPU and GPU. If this isn't done, you could have heat problems. 

• Well, slightly over 24 hours after contacting Dell, a service tech just left my house.  He replaced the video adapter/motherboard and also replaced the heatsink/fan assembly. So far the computer is running great, and quieter than before.. I'm extremely impressed with Dell's warranty service.

• Great news!

You should install a temp monitoring program to keep an eye on the CPU/GPU. Use i8kfangui or HWMonitor.

• I tried installing i8kfangui but I kept getting a pop-up that says "Can't install fanio driver" and then it aborts setup. The computer is running great. The new fan has more fan-blades than the previous fan. It is so much quieter.

• Then try the HWMonitor. i8kfangui hasn't been updated for a while, and may not be compatible with all Dell laptops.

• I have the same problem. CPU stops en after restarting I get a split screen. The laptop start normally but screen is very difficult to read.

Support of Dell tells me that it is a problem of Vista.

My solution is to restart the compter while pressing Fn- en start-button together. After a quarter  I press CTRL, Alt and delete. Then the computer start normally.

I get the problem of split screen once a week and this procedure works

• What the problem was in my case was that the Nvida GPU that Dell have installed are faulty and overheat. There was a class action lawsuit by most computer manufacturers over this. This is probably a big reason why Apple have left Nvida for Intel for their graphics card. What happened for me, was within 2 hrs of this problem starting on my 2 year old Dell, I phoned Dell's XPS customer support, not the regular support. We ran the diagnostics over the phone and the Dell CSR agreed with me that it was a hardware related issue not a software one. He could also hear over the phone how loud my fan was and thought that I needed a new heat sink/fan assembly.The graphics card is integrated on the motherboard so I got a new motherboard/graphics card along with the heat sink/ fan assembly. I have the 3 year at home service warranty and the problem was corrected within 48hrs of it starting. I was very pleased with Dell's response.

• Also, I forgot to mention the new fan has more fins on it and runs quieter than before and there probably is some Bios tweaks to help the heat management better.  I've had my hard drive  replaced previously as well. I am very impressed with Dell's warranty service in regards to me.

• What number do I call for XPS support? I am having the same issue!

• I have had contact with the support department of Dell. They didnot know the problem. Strange. I have found a site with a temporary solution for this problem. To my opion it is a driver problem. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=DSN_361151&isLegacy=true#Issue1 Here you find a solution. Good luck, Joop Boukens <ADMIN NOTE : Email Id removed per Privacy policy>

• I found this article through a google search after finding another thread in this forumn on the subject.  I beleive it is the video driver.  I have initiated a support ticket and am hoping Dell will replace what is needed to make this right.  I think they should have issued a recall.

www.geek.com/.../nvidia-sued-over-faulty-laptops-clas-action-status-requested-20090513

• It is not a driver issue. It is the hardware, and since it was not a safety issue, a recall was not needed....

Dell will replace what is needed to make it right for you if you are within your warranty, or within the one year warranty extension Dell offered for this issue.

Good luck.

Community Member Since 2003

• What is within 1 year of warranty extension?  My extended warranty ended 2/2011.