XPS M1330 Nvidia 8400m gs - Different Issue with windows 7 not - not failed card

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS M1330 Nvidia 8400m gs - Different Issue with windows 7 not - not failed card

This question is not answered

Hey everyone, I have a M1330 that I bought almost 2.5 years ago and am having trouble with my video card. I installed Windows 7 and everything went great. Now when I try to use a driver other than the Windows default for my display my computer crashes. 

I'll install the driver (I have tried them from both Dell and Nvidia and am currently running BIOS version A15) then when prompted to restart I will and when the Windows startup screen comes up (the black one with the swirling Windows logo) the display freaks out and then shows a bunch of multi colored lines and then turns black. I then hard reboot, enter safe mode and remove the driver. Once back to the standard video driver the computer works fine. Except, of course, I have no graphics acceleration.

I have looked into replacing the motherboard but my problem doesn't quite match the description of others not to mention I'm outside the warranty, including the extension. I don't really have a need to buy a new laptop as this one basically does what I need, but without hardware acceleration the machine won't even run solitaire without locking up.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

All Replies
  • Are you sure you are installing the correct Nvidia driver? The latest Nvidia drivers do not require a reboot to finish installation. The latest is 195.62. Find it HERE for 32-bit Windows 7. As you are able to run OK with the default driver, the problem is with the new driver, not the laptop. If the problem persists, back off to the next highest BIOS.

XPS M1530, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 8.1 Home - 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 8.1 Home - 32 bit

• I downloaded the driver you suggested and it was, in fact, different from the one I was using. However, it did prompt for me to restart once installation had completed. Upon reboot I ran into the same issue that I have described above. I removed the driver and I reflashed my BIOS to A14 then tried to reinstall the driver again and it still didn't work.

Thanks for your response! Any other ideas?

• Go to Visual Performance Options and de-select all the options (Select Adjust for Best Performance). If this improves the situation, add one feature back at a time to see what may be causing the problem. Report back. If it doesn't help, go to the Dell Diagnostics, F12 at boot, and run a complete set of tests.

• Sorry, I haven't had a chance to work on this for a few days.

Should I reinstall the driver and then in safe mode de-select the Visual Performance features and then reboot into regular windows? I'm not 100% clear on this one.

I ran the full diagnostics and there were no problems.

Thanks,

Rich

• You don't need to go into safe mode. Just de-select all the options and see what happens.

• Ok, I deselected all the options and installed the Nvidia driver (195.62) and restarted when prompted and have the same problem. Frustrating...

Thanks for your help.

Rich

• When you remove the video driver, what does the Device manager say you are using? When you boot, an Nvidia driver should be automatically installed by Windows.

Have you run the Dell Diagnostics, F12 at the boot?

• When I don't have the nVidia driver installed is says I'm using "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and nothing auto installs.

I ran full Dell Diag. and no problems were reported.

Thanks,

Rich

• Hey,

I have the same problems with my xps m1330 and windows 7 pro 32bit... I tried different versions of the driver, starting with windows driver, latest nvidia and dell  windows vista. The only difference between them was the time till the system crashed. With the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter the system works. Dell diagnostic does not show any error! Right now I´m trying to reinstall windows vista, just to see if the problem appears... but I think it is only due to a driver problem with win 7!

Do you have any news or solutions?

Thanks

Peter

• Hi,

I also have XPS M1330, had this laptop for 2.5 years no problems at all until maybe coincidence that I upgraded to Win 7 and since then no end of problems...  BSOD, windows kernel stopped working, etc, etc...

To date I have ran all the diagnostic tools I can find and they all say the GPU is ok, I have used driver sweep to uninstall the old drivers as recommended by Nvidia and currently have 197.16 driver, bios is A15.

Strange my laptop also runs with no problems under the standard VGA Graphics Adapter....   I have rolled back to Vista, still same problem.

The internet is full of this problem not just affecting Dell, I can't believe that they cant find a fix for this problem.

Does anyone know of a compatible graphics gpu or card I can use instead of this Nvidia 8400m one please....  my laptop is too good and too expensive to scrap...

Thanks

Lynn

• There is no video card as such in the system - the chip is soldered to the mainboard.  There is an Intel-video version of the system - since you have to replace the system board, consider using that one.  If the system is less than a year out of its original warranty, Dell has a 1-year extension to cover video chip failure (first link).  If not, the Intel board is the second link - you will need a replacement heatsink to use it.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4285

• Hi,

I want to update my post. After reinstalling windows vista the video problem which occurred in win 7 was still present. Thus it seems to be a problem with the video card and I called the technical support. They offered to change the mainboard to a newer revision and the heatsink, because it is a known failure and I still have waranty.

kind regards

Peter

• Hi,

Just to update from my post, my graphics chip eventually gave up, I just had black screen with green vertical line down the centre, would not start up either.

So I had to replace the Nvidia GPU, I decided to go for the Intel one and had the fan/heat exchanger also changed as original one is incompatible.

Outcome, well I am typing this post on my laptop, it seems to be working really well, no problems up to now fan also a lot quieter and seems to be less laboured that the other one.

If like me you are not good with changing hardware parts, I took my laptop to 2 local repair places and neither would touch it, I then found the part and a great company who did the job for me.

So if you dont want to buy a new cheap laptop it was worth the money for me to have my XPS M1330 repaired.

Will post if this one misbehaves....  Wink

• I have the same model and had video problems with mine as well. The video would cut out once the laptop got hot. I sent it to Precision Division in Florida where they repaired the motherboard and soldered the fan directly to the motherboard,forcing it on high all the time. Cost me about a hundred plus shipping. The fan is noisier now but it runs a lot cooler. I'd rather have a loud fan and a working laptop than a quiet fan and a doorstop.